Author Topic: 2020 Victory Gardens  (Read 38785 times)

Offline Morgan

Re: 2020 Victory Gardens
« Reply #300 on: November 29, 2020, 10:51:21 am »
What are "greens"? I thought it was a generic term for any leafy veg but now I'm doubting that.
Dc, if you was eating greens at my house growing up, it could have been collard, mustard, spinach, poke, turnip, or any combination of those, so it was a pretty generic term for us.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #301 on: November 30, 2020, 07:27:15 am »
I have kale (siberian and red russian), Georgia collards, purple top turnip greens and spinach planted in separate patches, some like them mixed. some like them individually, kale is the new trendy health food and very popular.

Of course like DC mentioned there is poke salat, a wild toxic weed that sprouts up in the spring along back roads and paths. It has to be boiled several time and the liquid poured off to be safe to eat. It grows in abundance along the exercise path I use so I stockpile some every spring.

Most cook it down and season it in a pan then break an egg in the mix, tastes like cooked spinach.

I get creative with it; here is some cooked in chicken stock with onions, garlic and wild chanterelle mushrooms.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 07:56:02 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #302 on: November 30, 2020, 07:53:26 am »
Pokeweed at the spring picking stage and mature and very toxic, past the eating stage.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #303 on: November 30, 2020, 07:58:00 am »
Is pokeweed related to baneberry?  The colors are different but the shape looks the same.  Baneberry is beautiful but you don't want to eat that stuff.  I guess as a rule it's good not to eat anything with "bane" in the name.   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline DC

« Reply #304 on: November 30, 2020, 10:41:38 am »
What are "greens"? I thought it was a generic term for any leafy veg but now I'm doubting that.
Dc, if you was eating greens at my house growing up, it could have been collard, mustard, spinach, poke, turnip, or any combination of those, so it was a pretty generic term for us.

Thanks Morgan, I guess I was pretty close.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #305 on: November 30, 2020, 11:21:08 am »
Nope; baneberry is entirely different than poke.

www.britannica.com/plant/baneberry
Baneberry, (genus Actaea), also called cohosh or necklaceweed, any of about eight species of perennial herbaceous plants in the buttercup family (Ranunculaceae); they are all native to north temperate zone woodlands.

Offline HH~

« Reply #306 on: November 30, 2020, 02:01:12 pm »
Think purple kale is my go to this year. Better than collards I think. Snowing out now and my broccoli still has side heads and will for a month Im thinking.
Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #307 on: November 30, 2020, 03:58:08 pm »
Well, we're all moved into our place in town.  We won't have nearly as much room to garden, but it should be several degrees warmer than our old place, which should translate to about a month more of growing season.  Less wind too!  So, maybe we'll actually be able to grow some tomatoes and peppers next summer.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #308 on: December 01, 2020, 07:25:31 am »
I agree, the red Russian kale I grew this year is something else.

Yesterday I had red Russian kale sautéed in butter with onions, garlic and dried chanterelle mushrooms.

I didn't notice the picture was out of focus until I already had is saved and resized.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #309 on: December 01, 2020, 08:04:13 am »
My only objection to kale is that it tastes like kale.   ;D   I've tried to like the stuff, but I'd have to be pretty hungry to go out of my way for it.  I'm glad other people enjoy it, though--less for me. 

T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #310 on: December 01, 2020, 08:09:56 am »
Not crazy about Kale either, I much prefer Lambs Quarter
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #311 on: December 01, 2020, 08:38:41 am »
I love steamed kale with hot pepper vinegar on it. The vinegar brings out the sweetness of the kale.  -C-
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #312 on: December 02, 2020, 07:59:51 am »
We call it pepper sauce in the south, I can it every year with garlic and onions just for greens.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #313 on: December 02, 2020, 08:01:28 am »
Not crazy about Kale either, I much prefer Lambs Quarter

I’ve never tried kale. I did try lambs quarters though. After a lifetime of trying to eradicate them found out they are pretty good eating. And certainly easy to grow. I just pick the wild ones.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #314 on: December 03, 2020, 05:57:49 pm »
Love most greens. Kale is up there! Some grease, white wing, pepper flakes, seseme seeds, lots garlic done in a deep sided fry skillet with a top.

Or in bamboo steamer then in skillet.

In winter i like French endive dug out garden, plant in cold sand box in cold cellar and cover completely. Stays blanched like throwing a board over it. Fresh greens all winter. Like it with some home red dressing in salat bowl. No bitterness.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW