Author Topic: 2020 Victory Gardens  (Read 38661 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: 2020 Victory Gardens
« Reply #315 on: December 04, 2020, 08:16:11 am »
My granddaughter makes a kale salad with pine nuts, cranberries, boiled egg and a vinaigrette dressing that is out of this world and I never thought I would like kale in a salad. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #316 on: December 04, 2020, 09:01:43 am »
We found a kale slaw in the grocery store and loved it but it was expensive so I started making my own with almost any greens, with shredded carrots, chopped onions, broccoli, cauliflower, boch choy(sp), dried cranberries, chopped walnuts, shredded apple and poppy seed dressing. This is some good stuff and even better the next day after it has marinated over night.    -C-
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #317 on: December 04, 2020, 10:20:38 am »
That almost makes me want to try it - but without the onions! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #318 on: December 04, 2020, 03:03:08 pm »
Onions are optional.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #319 on: December 05, 2020, 02:55:03 pm »
I had heard about a radish people planted for deer to eat, it is a daikon radish but known around here as a deer radish. Deer will eat the greens first then pull up the radish and eat it as well.

I had to plant a few rows of these just to see what they looked like. To say they did well in my garden is an understatement. They taste like any other radish, perhaps a little milder. I was surprised at how big they grew.

I pulled this one today, I have so many I am going to pickle some sliced with onions and garlic to see how they taste on sandwiches or in a salad.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #320 on: December 05, 2020, 05:43:39 pm »
Wow, Eric, you could torpedo a destroyer with that thing!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour