Author Topic: 2020 Victory Gardens  (Read 39295 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: 2020 Victory Gardens
« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2020, 11:05:23 am »
Had busy day harvesting yesterday.

Susie started early and put up a bunch of really nice applesauce. I was fired from this job years ago for scorching a batch. Now I’m just allowed to pick the apples and sometimes grind them. My wife and our kids love applesauce.

Bjrogg

Yup I know all about that one
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2020, 04:47:25 pm »
Is there a special tool for cutting the corn off the cob or do you just use a knife?
Not from corn country ;D ;D

Yeah DC. My mom always used one. My dad still has two of them, but my wife like a knife. I use the corn cutter my mom used when I do it, but usually my wife cuts it all while I’m picking, husking and cooking.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2020, 04:50:50 pm »
Had busy day harvesting yesterday.

Susie started early and put up a bunch of really nice applesauce. I was fired from this job years ago for scorching a batch. Now I’m just allowed to pick the apples and sometimes grind them. My wife and our kids love applesauce.

Bjrogg

Funny thing Marc. My wife doesn’t fire me from very many jobs. I’m usually way fussier than her. She gets really serious when it comes to applesauce or just plain cooking in general. She knows what she’s doing.
Bjrogg

Yup I know all about that one

Offline HH~

« Reply #153 on: August 17, 2020, 09:59:45 am »
No corn this year for me. I do it every other year. Still have 40 qts.

Kale and Broccoili are doing good. Winter squash and second set of potatoe rows are doing fine. Kale and greens will go into January. Still have several hunnerd pounds of tomatoes hanging. Peppers of all types are in. Still stringing up my yellow Cayans. They look cool on a string.

Shawn
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #154 on: August 17, 2020, 11:31:34 am »
You sure have a nice garden HH.
Bjrogg

Offline HH~

« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2020, 06:33:51 pm »
Firing up the outdoor Hedge Kitchen in morning. got pasta sauce going on burner. Going to have to raid my wifes sweet basil patch. . . . Sorry Baby but winter stores must get done before bow season starts next week.

Shawn~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2020, 12:02:55 am »
There are priorities in life!  With that amount of tomatoes still on the vine, you should have plenty of pasta sauce, bbq sauce, and fried green tomatoes!  Got to fertilize ours this week!  Learning to do container gardening and playing catch up with the growing season is a challenge.  Plan to try to get some blueberries going next spring, got gooseberries sort of established and chokecherries that the birds like very much! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline HH~

« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2020, 12:47:55 pm »
Pedi did 3qts more picante and I did 3qts of BBQ sauce.

Raining and cool outside. Makes for great canning weather.

Made my BBQ very similar to my fathers stuff. But did a Tennessean twist like how us Volunteers showed Texas how to make tomato based BBQ. Got a really snappy Zip Twang.

Gettin my Wuhan stores put up for the fall festivities.

Gud Eats~

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #158 on: August 21, 2020, 01:05:18 pm »
Well, I planted three rows of oyster mushrooms yesterday. Looks like I picked a good time with two Tropical Storms heading this way Monday and Tuesday.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: August 21, 2020, 01:09:42 pm »
Batten down the hatches, Eddie. Oh heck, you Florida crackers ain't askeerd of a little wind and rain.  (R  (W
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2020, 07:35:24 am »
Two big, ol' thunderstorms. (W
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2020, 10:29:32 am »
Stay safe Eddie.
Still got a little more than a month till hunting season here yet HH
I think those blue berrries like a acidic soil WB.

My Navy  Beans are starting to turn. Along with a few trees. Navy Beans are the last crop I plant and first one I harvest. They are looking pretty good. Probably be ready to harvest in about three weeks I’m thinking.
Bjrogg

Offline HH~

« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2020, 11:42:39 am »
Was reading farm report from SD this morning. Kinda tough!
I thought wheat would be bring much more per Bsh!!

Be more small guys going out im afraid.

Shawn~

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2020, 12:27:15 pm »
Was reading farm report from SD this morning. Kinda tough!
I thought wheat would be bring much more per Bsh!!

Be more small guys going out im afraid.

Shawn~

Traditional crops like wheat, soybeans and corn. Prices are pretty pathetic. Wheat is probably the best of the three for us, but the quality is so important that it really makes it risky crop. We grow soft white winter wheat here and there is a premium. However they are extremely picky on quality.

Navy Beans are ok price now if I can get a good yield. Market probably won’t last long if the traditional markets don’t pick up.

Sugar Beets look really good and sugar price is decent. A lot will depend on how we do processing and storing them. Early dig has started. I won’t dig them yet but our Michigan Sugar Coop has started processing beets. Our growers will keep digging just enough beets to keep the factories going. Once we  start them they run 24-7. Until mid to late March. Hopefully the beets will store on the outside piles good until then. Last year was a real challenge. Freezing temperatures started early and 25% of crop was harvested in conditions very poor for storage. We did get most processed, but it really went poor and because we processed beets that would store poor first. We lost some of our highest quality beets that didn’t get processed until beginning of April. We were already planting this years crop before we finished processing last years. Never a good thing. Could have been worse. Minn Dak lost something close to 50% of their beet crop they couldn’t get harvested.

Bjrogg

PS I said Navy Beans are first crop I harvest, but wheat really is. I planted it last September though
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 12:32:03 pm by bjrogg »

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2020, 05:01:33 pm »
My target bale potatoes.  just shy of 10 lbs from three bales.  I have one more plant in the dirt that is still growing well. looking forward to the roast and potatoes on Sunday.