Author Topic: 2020 Victory Gardens  (Read 37793 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: 2020 Victory Gardens
« Reply #270 on: October 28, 2020, 04:51:33 am »
Great to hear you got a good crop, BJ! Time to go hunting!  I have just the tarragon to cut, assuming the wind and snow didn't knock all the leaves off!  Then I mulch the container and broil some chicken!
Hawkdancer

Sorry to let you down. No time for hunting yet. We still have at least four days of beets. Probably six.
Then it’s time to go back at corn and tillage. I’m pretty sure it will be gun season before I can get back out. Of course I do have my bow along in the very unlikely chance I might get a stalk. Very unlikely but I do like the way it spruces up my tractor cab.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #271 on: October 28, 2020, 05:12:17 am »
This is my beet digger with cart along side. The digger lifts the beets and dirt out of the ground with “digger wheels “. Then they go over a series of cleaning chains and rolls to remove dirt and some stones. Then they go in the “Ferris Wheel” to get them elevated to a conveyor  chain that I can either run towards cart or a small bin on digger. I basically have to have a cart alongside of me at all times in 37 ton beets. I can’t go very far putting them in my bin. Just long enough to quick change a full cart for  a empty one.

Bjrogg

PS it gets to be exhausting

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #272 on: October 28, 2020, 08:30:31 am »
My greens are looking really good, I have opened the patch to picking but none of the folk that said they would come over to pick have.

I took the electric fence down on my deer plot, last year there were deer in it within in a few hours after the fence came down, this year after a week there have been no deer in it feeding at all, not the first picture on my trail cam. They legalized hunting over feeders where I live and I suspect they are in a lot of backyards around here and drawing the deer off.

I blow the leaves off the plot every few days as it sits in the woods.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 08:34:15 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #273 on: October 28, 2020, 08:44:47 am »
The reason I asked is we bought our 25acs in 1988 with sugar money but cane sugar, not beats. We sold our Dixie Chrystal Sugar stock(Savannah Foods and Industries, I inherited) and bought our 25acs. A good friend was also a sugar buyer for SF and I. And growing up in Savannah, S F and I was a big deal. I didn't realize until later the animosity between cane and beet sugar.  (A)
 BJ, I have to give you and all farmers lots of credit for all your hard work you do with such little returns. Definitely the backbone of our country.
 We have only had spotty frost around here so far this year. None at my place. There have been a few years where we had frost in Sept, usually by now we've had a heavy frost and hard freeze. To me this is our most obvious transition between seasons and my favorite. I always look forward to the first frost.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #274 on: October 29, 2020, 05:12:53 am »
We’re just friendly competition Pat. I hold no animosity towards them. It’s not their fault they can’t grow sugar beets.lol

Thanks for the kind words about farmers. I can almost hear the filfes playing like when Oliver Windel Douglas would give his American Farmer speech on “Green Acres”.

Really I do appreciate the kind words. There are a lot of hard working people out there though. I feel so blessed to be doing what I am. I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Even a couple hours of sleep.

Bjrogg

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #275 on: October 29, 2020, 07:24:50 am »
That's pretty cool BJ.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #276 on: October 29, 2020, 01:14:46 pm »
Looks like I'm growing my garden this time for the new people. We did the FHA Inspection last week and just had the appraiser here today. I hope that was the last hoop to jump through. Hopefully heading to SC real soon.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #277 on: October 29, 2020, 04:36:09 pm »
Looks like I'm growing my garden this time for the new people. We did the FHA Inspection last week and just had the appraiser here today. I hope that was the last hoop to jump through. Hopefully heading to SC real soon.
Same here.  Got the appraisal done today, which is the last possible monkey wrench (as far as I know) that could get thrown in the works.  We close on both our old and new place November 13th, and I really want to just get on with it.  Good luck, Eddie!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Stoker

« Reply #278 on: October 30, 2020, 08:32:43 am »
Pulled the plug. Last week hitting -20C  -4F. Was a little rough on the tomatoes and peppers. A little surprise cold snap.
Bjrogg They grow sugar beets around here also, walked many miles around the fields hunting pheasants back in the day.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #279 on: October 30, 2020, 08:33:44 am »
Thank you, And good luck to you, also. I still have to get a place to stay till we get set up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline HH~

« Reply #280 on: October 30, 2020, 08:59:36 am »
Picked about 10lbs of tomatoes last evening. Winter squash needs pickin. Let some broccoli go to seed and that needs pickin and drying out.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline PNewton

« Reply #281 on: November 04, 2020, 08:33:01 am »
BJ, I seen one of those grain carts that lift for the first time a couple weeks ago. I was amazed; and I've been in a farming family for 40 years lol. Do you haul your beets to Croswell or Sebewaing? Good luck with your harvest.

Offline HH~

« Reply #282 on: November 04, 2020, 08:17:08 pm »
Picked winter squash and broccoli today. My wife made several Qts of green salsa verde.

Picked last bell peppers and Cayennes as well. Just have greens in now collards and kale.

Good season. The wuhan garden did very very well.

Its a wrap fer 2020.

Hedge
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #283 on: November 04, 2020, 08:26:14 pm »
Picked about 10lbs of tomatoes last evening. Winter squash needs pickin. Let some broccoli go to seed and that needs pickin and drying out.

HH~

We got 2" of snow a few ago, I'm rather jealous.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #284 on: November 04, 2020, 08:43:34 pm »
We got 2" of snow a few ago, I'm rather jealous.

Yeah, same here.  We had our first snow storm and sub-zero patch back in mid-September.  These southern guys live in a different world.  ha ha
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour