Author Topic: Obsidian gathering tips?  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Sagebrush

Obsidian gathering tips?
« on: May 02, 2020, 08:08:58 am »
Hello all.  I am somewhat new to the arrow making game and very new to the arrow head making game.  I have a few bits of obsidian to play with, but I know I will need more.  I only live 3 hours from glass butes and was going to go stock up when the covid restrictions in Oregon are eased a bit.

What signs of quality and things am I looking for in raw hunks of obsidian.  What should my selection algorithm look like?  I don't want to come back with boxes of unusable material.  Thank you in advance.

Offline Ryan Jacob

Re: Obsidian gathering tips?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 05:16:25 am »
It’s kinda hard to tell the quality of a rock without cracking it open, spall some of it off first to see what the inside of the rock is like.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 02:48:51 pm »
Everybody I know that goes to Glass Buttes says you will not have a problem looking for good Obs'. There are large flakes and spalls that other people have left and when you get your permit they give you a map to the different colored sites. I like the Burn's Green the best but I heard that pit has been dug around 40' deep and is to dangerous to go in. Be sure you take a big hammer and pry bar.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 09:26:28 am »
Thanks for the tips.  My knee ligaments are requesting I not get to crazy with the climbing.  Is this something that I want rocks the size of softballs or basketballs?? Yes very new to this end.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 10:20:36 am »
Personally I'd load as big as you could carry.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 12:00:11 pm »
Also, get enough for the rest of us while you are there! >:D :-K (lol). Don't overwork yourself or try to lift extra large rocks!  I would park my truck facing outbound, and take plenty of water!  Have fun!  Btw, I like the tricolor and mahogany! (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 12:34:41 am »
I will keep you posted.  Oregon is still being cautious for now.  Getting itchy to go hike this area some more.  I might try to explore a few other deposits while I'm there. Thanks guys.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 05:42:01 am »
My cousin is heading to job site today. He is hoping to get a chance to go to glass butte. I told him to look pungent sound knappers site. Also told him to take lots of water, first aid kit, big hammer and pry bar. Oh and me.

Bjrogg

I dream about this kinda stuff
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise