Author Topic: Traditional bowyers bible  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Traditional bowyers bible
« on: May 03, 2020, 03:37:44 am »
Since i always Heat about the books im wondering of the series/volumes are like they belong to each other in the way that you should have all or are they the same but re-writen with a new view on things?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Traditional bowyers bible
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 05:01:19 am »
They all deal with different aspects, but there is of course some natural overlap.
Vol 1 is a "must have" IMO (despite it saying the Mary Rose was raised of Plymouth >:( (It was Portsmouth)
I have vols 1, 2, 4
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 05:39:08 am »
I’m a beginner as well, and have all of them. I’d say vol. 1+4 are probably the most important ones for beginners, then 2nd and third, in that order. All of them has usefull stuff, though.
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 05:42:52 am »
1 and 4 are the best two to have. Just ignore the bit about leaving islands of wood around knots when chasing a ring. You need one continuous ring down the entire thing. This islands of wood around a knot pop off and take splinters with them. No Bueno.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 06:31:53 am »
I haven't read them for a few years, but all the volumes have useful information in them that is not the same. Can you get by with just the first volume? Sure, but the more knowledge the better in my opinion. What you get are different perspectives, that build off what you have learnt in earlier volumes.

Buying all 4 volumes at once can be a bit daunting because of the amount of information, and conflicting opinions. It takes time to digest and take on the knowledge so that it makes sense in your day to day bowyering.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 07:47:01 am »
Ah oke thanks you all, yours opinion is close to each other so my question is answered

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 11:37:46 am »
I have all 4 volumes, as well as volumes byPaul Comstock, Dr Al Herrin, Jim Hamm, and I am going to try to find Laubin's book on Archery.  I have their book on the Indian Tipi.  One the other hand, I, too am a newbie as far as bow making is concerned.  I look at all of them for information.  I ask questions here, too sometimes!  Direct knowledge!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 01:17:18 pm »
Yeah if there would pass by Anny archery related book in some store i would buy It but when i must order It i would start with the best to have first haha
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:18:11 am by Ricardovanleeuwen »

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 01:18:58 pm »
I borrowed the first one from someone on here and i took notes. lots of notes. then i studied it every chance i got. a lot of the stuff from that book is ingrained in my memory now.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 03:51:05 pm »
Yeah but i dont know annyone in person who makes bows let stand have the books

Offline Hamish

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 05:26:22 pm »
 The first volume is a good start. From memory, history, bow woods, traditional bow designs, splicing,  tillering.

2nd volume, info on making bows from boards, recurves, bowyers tips.

Can't remember too much of the top of my head on Vol 3, except good info in the long term.

Volume 4, It was written later so the various bowyers come back with new opinions on their older methods, what they have changed.

Laminated wood bows.

You will want them all eventually, excellent books.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 05:36:14 pm »
Sleek I think they where speaking to the belly’s not the backs.  I could be wrong though. I agree 1 is a must. This was the book that I built my first 50 bows by. There are other good books out there but this series is what found me . Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!