Author Topic: Getting a sharp edge on some trade point.  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Mafort

Getting a sharp edge on some trade point.
« on: May 03, 2020, 11:36:09 am »
So I have some trade points I cut out of a piece of high carbon steel and I was wondering how you guys would go putting a razor sharp edge on it. I’ve used a file before but it’s more of a ragged edge. Any advice? I’ve got a bench grinder I could use but it’s probably older than I am. I’ve got some other stones that I can use as well

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Getting a sharp edge on some trade point.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 11:45:29 am »
I used a Lanskey sharpening kit to sharpen mine.  It put a hair popping edge on them. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Mafort

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 12:35:30 pm »
Do you use a file to get the bevel started? Or do you just put it in there with the square edge and just go until it’s sharp?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 12:58:33 pm »
I roughed it in on a belt sander.  I use the lanskey kit to sharpen all of my knives also.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 02:40:30 pm »
I have a slow turning belt sander with a Lanskey's angle bracket. And a set of 1" belts starting 400, 600, 800. and a 1000 grit then a 1" leather belt with Jeweler's Rouge to put a polished edge on it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 03:51:47 pm »
Question: You said you made it form high carbon steel, did you heat treat it or was it already hardened?  Reason I ask is if it has been hardened you're not going to cut it with a file (or you shouldn't be able to). You'll need to get the bevel angle started with a belt sander taking care to keep it cool, not let it turn colors, thus removing the heat treatment.

If you sharpen them to something close to a 30 degree angle you can sharpen them with just about anything. Sharpening stone, Lansky setup...whatever.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline Mr. Woolery

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 10:59:52 am »
You asked how we would get that razor edge. My approach is to establish the bevels with my belt sander and a 220 belt. I use a sharp belt because it develops less heat. Next, I go to a soft Arkansas stone until I’ve got all the 220 scratches polished off. This takes a few minutes on a hard knife. Less for smaller items, of course. Next I use a hard Arkansas stone. This only needs a few passes. Finally a strop charged with green compound.

You can take hair off the arm with just the belt and soft stone, but the added polish makes for cleaner cutting with carving tools.

Not saying my way is best, but it works.

Patrick

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 11:46:02 am »
I use the Lansky diamond set if the bevel is set.  Got a "slow" grinder for setting the bevel.  Saves time if I get the angle right.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry