Author Topic: Accuracy limit for hunting..  (Read 3737 times)

Offline Fox

Accuracy limit for hunting..
« on: May 05, 2020, 11:54:16 am »
What do you all think is an acceptable skill level for hunting whitalled with a selfbow?  I got my first deer with riffle last year.. it felt .. to easy 100 yards missed and took out both frontlegs but didn't get any vitals... ran 1/2 mile and i had to cut her throat... would rather not do all that again... so how accurate should one be with a selfbow to hunt?  Thanks

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline mmattockx

Re: Accuracy limit for hunting..
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 02:05:03 pm »
The vital area on a whitetail is maybe 9"-10" in diameter (for a rifle, possibly less for a bow). If you can put all your arrows in that size of a target at whatever range you expect to be shooting at that should be sufficient. Tighter groups are better, of course, but always inside 9" is adequate. It is most important to be practising at least some of your shooting under the same conditions as you will be hunting in. That means ground blind, tree stand, whatever. Also practice estimating ranges, don't just stand at a fixed range and put arrows into a target butt. You need to be able to shoot well from odd positions, shooting uphill and down, around trees, etc.

Mark

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 11:52:03 pm »
How far away can you hit a grapefruit every time, from any angle or position?  What mmatock said plus 2!  A lot of practice!  You will hunt the way you train!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 03:26:23 am »
just for reference try your hand at the finland archery hunt exam
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,61937.0.html

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 08:25:58 am »
To me knowing I can put the first arrow of the day in a pie plate at 20 yards and that doesn't take into effect the nerves that accompany that shot at a living animal. For hunting situations more than one arrow isn't generally going to happen.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 07:12:35 am »
Heart lung area of whitetails is a good sized object. Killing large game effectively and consistantly with a selfbow is not all about the shot, in fact its prolly less than 45% of getting the job completed.

There a lot of things that must happen correctly to make it happen and be a consistant selfbow harvester. Sure you can kill a deer in a chance contact and make a harvest with a boar spear. That does not happen regularly and neither will SB harvests unless you do a handful of things correctly and make them routine habits.

First thing most guys will do is go right back to a glass or compound bow if they dont kill a deer right away or make a bad shot with SB on one. You have to hunt inside your effective killing radius of your weapon. For most that 20yds with SB. So, whats that say to the SB hunter? You got to get close and hunt animals that were built to pick up danger in close.

Keep you hunt gear clean!!! Keep it way from human oder, clean everything from lowering line to boots regularly. So, you battling human oder and where it goes! Yer never going to stop it all which means you have to hunt where yer oder will drift out the travel area you want to hunt. Morning cool air falls and follows terrain down to lowest point, etc. Gotta get close, so wind and directions of it are everything!!!

Next is know your terrain you hunt and how the deer use it. Are they bedding near by, just travelling thru to feed else where, actively breeding in the thick cover, feeding on something right where you hunt? A trailcam is not going to tell you this. You must go out and learn by watching the animals them selves and what they are actually doing. They have only one mode and thats to survive another season, eat, breed, raise young, feed, etc, etc. This is nothing more than Knowing your target animal.

Stay fit enough to hump your chit into where ever you need to go to kill your food. You cant kill whitetails where they aint which is not nuthin new but lots of folks wont go to where they are because its a real bitch to get in there. I hunt public and private land so I carry in my stand, gear, wet weather gear and pack most everytime. So i know Im making two trips if I kill out anyway. Either quartering and packing or deer cart from the truck.

Practice: from a elevated position and ground with your broadhead set up. Not to mention the time it takes to get a setup that will penetrate and kill even a big whitetail. Once you have a good setup start practicing with broadheads!! I shoot thru several of those tough new crossbow blocks starting in July every year. I shoot lots of different selfbows so I practice a bunch.

Last five full seasons i have harvested 62 whitetails. Most with selfbow. Had so many doe on my place you were lucky to see a mature buck. After lots hunting and doe killing the hunting on the place has got better. Took two nice 5x4's this year and saw a few other mature deer. The bucks never moved before. When you got 10 deer/acre they did not have to.

Keep your nose in the wind. First selfbow deer you harvest you'll be hooked.

HH~
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10:08:56 am by HedgeHunter »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 11:35:53 pm »
Thanks for taking that time HH to write a detailed answer to my question. Thats very helpful and completely answeres my questions.  Thank you.

-Fox

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 01:42:26 am »
Hedge,
You got it right on!  Even us old guys could score using that info!  Well, maybe!  You were a Ranger  trainer in a previous "life"?  As a buddy once told an incoming class of SF trainees - "we are not training you to be on our team - we are training you to be our replacements".  If all this other stuff settles down, and we get the move completed, I may get to hunt this year, but got to learn new rules!
Hawkdancer(MSG, Ret, 18Z5S, et al)(almost) never got the star in the middle!
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline HH~

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 10:19:29 am »
No worries Fox. Just keep a sharp BH and if you can put it in a 10" paper pie plate under the conditions you may see during the hunt it's not that tuff. Off the knee is my favorite. I'm a tall guy and I often shoot off a knee like H. Hill did or off both knees.

I like a 40 some pound selfbow with a 500-600grn arrow. Oh, dont worry about how fast it flies! If it flies well enough to stay on target to 20yds it will kill whitetail deer. My preference to kill deer with selfbow is about 18-23yds. At this range its just gives you time and time is money! Time to wait for the best shot angle, time to draw and shoot on an animal that is not on alert, time if goes bad you can pluck another arrow and shoot, time if its a marginal hit that animal may come even closer for the coup de gras .

Let us know how your journey goes. I am waiting to hear of it.

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 07:56:44 am »
Good advice from a good hunter.

I might just add. Know where you want your arrow to go. It isn’t necessarily in the same spot. It depends on the angle as to where you want your arrow to enter.

If your elevated and animal is angling away from you, arrow should enter back and higher than if your on the ground and broadside. It’s not where the arrow enters. It’s where it goes after it enters. Learn where vitals are located.

Also remember that it isn’t a target. It will move. You spend hours with nothing happening and seconds to do the job. You have to always be ready and be one with your bow. HH has taken probably 40 times more deer than I have, heck probably more than. I’m pretty sure he would agree that stuff goes down really fast. I wait for that shot I want. When I get it I honestly don’t even remember drawing my bow, it just happens.

Also try to get the shot off undetected. I really think that’s the hardest part of hunting like this. You can get close. Getting close makes getting that unseen shot off a lot harder though. My shot cycle is not text box. It is very quick and with as little movement as I can get away with though. I don’t hold at all at anchor. When I get to anchor my arrow is gone. I “aim” with my bow arm, anchor with my string hand.

I also very much agree. Practice with your broad heads. Good arrow flight is very important for good penetration.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 09:05:43 am »
Would agree BJ. Its all about angles to reach the vitals. Which often time keeps an arrow on the shelf! I do like the slightly quarter away shot but with that said a liitle left of right and it can get ugly quick.

The other thing I think to add about anyone's shooting is this. We all have a tendency to miss with any given bow to one area usually (high left) etc. I have found if you can find what condition creates it you can eliminate that miss by being aware of it. Under pressure if your aware of this tendency you can compensate (cheat) it a bit.

HH~

Offline Fox

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 12:11:32 pm »
Just saw the HH and bj... Thanks again, good advice.  For some reason i feel like i need a 60# fast recurve although i know this is not the case but still trying to make the "perfect bow" bofore i hunt... probly being to picky about the bow... anyway what broadheads to you all hunt with? ive read some stuff about the single bevel broad heads...  they seem pretty devistating with the S cut... anways  thanks

-Fox

Offline HH~

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 06:59:07 am »
A good two blade like an Ace with work fine.

HH~