Author Topic: Hickories density tendancies  (Read 1470 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Hickories density tendancies
« on: May 06, 2020, 08:40:24 am »
I was reading from the wood data base site.They say hickory from thicker ringed wood is denser than thinner ringed.I'll have to do a density test on that.I've always liked thinner ringed wood for bows myself.Could be the case there is'nt going to be much difference too.
I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts or opinions about that.
The thinner ringed hickories' early wood will look like dots to me with late wood intermingled with it even though it says it is a ring pourus wood.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PatM

Re: Hickories density tendancies
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 08:51:49 am »
I think it is denser simply because it has less of the early wood pores in it.   It's more semi-ring porous relative to Ash, Osage and Locust.

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 11:03:50 am »
I’ve seen good and bad hickory with both thick and thin rings. I think the early/late wood ratio is more important, like PatM said. There was a swamp where used to cut hickory and the outer growth rings would be all early wood, over 50%, and very thin. But deeper in the wood the rings were still thin but without much early wood and that stuff was great.

I don’t know if there’s anything to this but I feel like the good hickory I’ve used has a slightly stronger color to it, more yellow and pink.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 06:03:44 pm »
Those are my thoughts too from what I see.The wood looks almost semi ring pourus with the thinner rings.The dots are especially noticeable on the side grain of the limbs.
I harvest my hickory generally all from the same hillside.Maybe that's why it's consistent for me.
I've seen that pinkish hew on this hickory many times also.
Reason I asked too was I've got some pig nut hickory that's projected as being more dense than shagbark and it has thicker rings.Very thin line of early wood between late wood.
All bows from these hickories are sapwood limbs.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 02:05:04 pm »
I am also in agreement here. To much early wood is not good.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 07:36:17 am »
Now you got me thinking Ed I have a bunch of shag bark & pignut hanging on the wall most are taking reflex after a couple of years I wonder if the amount of reflex between the 2 say if one type takes more then the other would indicate any thing ? never thought much about hickory density just looked for quality !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 08:12:07 am »
Ritch...I think all hickory is lop sided in it's tension to compression qualities.Good question but not sure density has anything to do with it.
Equalizing the compression qualities to the tension qualities with a good heat treatment done by those for the first time can be an eye awakening experience.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 08:47:08 am »
I remember that 65" I made a while back picked up 9 lb after heat treat it is amazing how hickory likes the heat  I have another 68" hickory ruffed out 4 year inside cure Im going to put on the heat caul when I get the sinew on 55" osage I always get a bit excited when I see post on hickory its a great wood in its own right if treated right !
If you fear failure you will never Try !