Author Topic: Extending recurves  (Read 2313 times)

Offline DC

Re: Extending recurves
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 03:54:28 pm »
I'm starting to wonder if the mid 190's is all there is in a Boo Yew
I wouldn't write it off too soon.

making it longer dropped weight because you could not make it thicker.

adding reflex means it needs to be thinner. I suspect the extra set.

If the set was not too permanent, you might try taking some off the belly and finding a new arrow.

Why a new arrow? I did use a lighter arrow. Here's the FDC for both. the top line is the "after" so there is a bit of improvement. I'm thinking this wood is tired. On my best bows if I pull them to a weight and hold it there, the scale will slowly drop maybe half a pound and then pretty much stay at that weight. This one drops quite a bit,maybe 1 1/2pounds and a lot quicker. It actually made it difficult to do the FDC because the scale didn't stay in one spot long enough to get a solid reading. When I did the second FDC the bow was freshly braced and the first few readings were nice and solid and then they started to fall. It's just a shame that I can't seem to use my "failures" to try new stuff. This FDC is easier to read ;D

Offline willie

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 04:30:59 pm »
Why a new arrow?

my thought was if the bow is being over strained because of the "longer" drawlength (because reflex was added), then thinning the limb some would reduce the strain.
This of course would reduce weight and call for a lighter arrow to be an equivalent test.

the reduction would be effective if the bow has not taken too much set, but, as you say, the wood might be getting tired so the results could  be inconclusive.

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 05:18:43 pm »
I could drop it to 35# or so. I'll keep that in mind. Maybe when I'm "really" elderly I can reduce all my bows to 35#. That would keep me busy.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2020, 06:55:47 pm »
just start working your way back up,, 1 # at a time,, (SH)

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2020, 08:06:39 pm »
I tried that, I thought I was up to 45# and realised that I was just short drawing. My bod seems to be stuck a 40#. That and it's been a long time since I shot a bow with any regularity.