Author Topic: Moister content help  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Fox

Moister content help
« on: May 09, 2020, 12:02:31 pm »
So i live in South west VA and it is often 80- 90% humidity in the summer and not too different in the house because we do not have any kind of air conditioning.... the only staves that i have are hickery and walnut and with hickerys need to be dry im guessing this will cause some problems... any suggestions?
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline NicAzana

Re: Moister content help
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 12:44:42 pm »
I have a small brrom closet in my house, where i have a de-humidifyer hooked up to a hygrostat (like a thermostat, but with humidity) It switches on when RH rises above 52.5%, and off when it drops to 47.5. But that’s a relatively expensive setup. I think a lot of people get by with a small cupboard or the like thats heated slightly with a large lightbulb or the like.
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 12:55:21 pm »
Heat treat aggressively.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 04:50:03 pm »
+1.
I keep my basement in Iowa at 45 to 65 percent humidity with a dehumidifier and an anolog humidity gauge.Short periods of 80 to 90 percent humidity is common in summer too.On average overall around 50 to 55 percent through out the year.
Understanding weather helps.A high pressure system is dry.A low pressure system wet.Many times I do not run my dehumidifier because it's not needed.
My system here is not good for Robins' tropical plants in the winter especially but they do survive any way.At least she's not complaining any.

Down side is a dehumidifier...a good one.... costs over $100.00.Keeping the filter clean and the cooling vents clean from dust once a week while running with a vacuum is essential in maintaining the life of your dehumidifier.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 04:08:45 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed