Author Topic: Antler tipped Ishi stick  (Read 9652 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Antler tipped Ishi stick
« on: April 24, 2008, 12:17:27 pm »
I watched a gentleman at OJAM do Abbo knapping and he had an antler tipped Ishi stick.  I should have payed closer attention as to how it was made, but I didn't.  Last night I started making my own but I need some suggestions.  Here's what I've done so far. 

First I cut a 21" Hickory handle off a cheap-o garden hoe, (got it on sale for $4 plus a shorter handle works better for mixing concrete in a wheel bar for fence posts anyway ::) )

Then I cut a tine off a deer antler shed about 7" long.  I figured the extra length would give me some longevity for filing the end down with use.  The base of the tine at the cut was about 1/2" so I drilled a 7/16" hole in the end of the handle a little over an inch deep.  I used my farrier's rasp to reduce the diameter of the tine so it will fit in the hole snug.  I'm then going to set the tine in the hole with glue (recommendations?) and then wrap the end with rawhide (again recommendations please) so that the wood will not split.  If you have pictures or discriptions of your Ishi's that would also be great too. 

I hope to have it done to bring with me to the Classic next week to help reduce his rock pile.  8) Your suggestions and expertise is appreciated.   ;D

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Antler tipped Ishi stick
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 02:27:13 pm »
Mike, I've seen a couple made by splitting a piece off the end of the handle, hollowing it out a bit and putting a reduced piece of antler in. You tie it back together with buckskin, rawhide, or something. I've been meaning to make myself one if I can think of it one day when I'm not lazy.  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 02:44:44 pm »
Thanks Steve. I may not glue it in so I can replace the tine simply by removing the rawhide. 

I did what little work I've done on it last night when I slipped out to the "Man Cave" to get something I'd left out there, (That's also where we keep the dog food  ;D ). Sometimes working on my stuff is like digging a tunnel out of a POW camp.  You have to do it a little at a time so the "mein Herr Commandant" doesn't notice you're gone.   >:D 

I'll try and post some pic's this weekend if I get it done.  I don't have any rawhide lace handy so I'm going to have to pick up some at the Tandy Store.

Mike 
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 06:31:21 pm »
i dunno about the flaker, the best one ive made so far is copper wire. but if youre buildin fence try fillin the posthole with dry concrete mix. tamp it good and you can put panels or wire on it that day. the ground moisture even in the desert will set up the concrete in a day or two.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 06:47:53 pm »
You know, I've never heard that on the concrete.  I've been setting them, letting them cure, then welding on the braces and then stretching the wire.  Some are as deep as three feet with three bags of Quickrete per hole.  I'm kind of like my Granddad who use to make his living as a carpenter.  He used to be accused of nearly cutting his boards in two by using so many nails.  I tend to over engineer every thing I do too.   :P 

Same deal on the pressure flaker.  There is probably easier (and better) ways of doing it, but "hell for stout" is the way I build just about every thing.   I guess that's why I don't do flower arrangements.   ;D

Mike

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 08:42:31 pm »
The only one I have seen was done as Steve said.   

I have seen guys use post mix on fences, but when it is down a canyon 1 mile from the nearest road (or if you are cheap and have 100 posts to set) you learn to tamp the dirt with the back of the shovel. I have set posts that way that will stop your truck in its tracks, much less hold wire. BTW use post mix not concrete mix, its not the same. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 09:55:38 pm »
   Steve, I'm glad to see you were too lazy to make one. The last time we were at Cade's, I found one in my bag of tools when I got home. Didn't know who's it was.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 10:33:41 pm »
That sounds interesting Mike - hope to see finished product at the Classic..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 10:53:08 am »
I got the tine to a close fit yesterday and I'm going to try and slip off today and get some rawhide lace to hold it all in.  If'n the wife don't have something else for me to do, I'll try and get some pic's and get'm posted tonight.   Paul, I'm brining it for sure so you can show me how it's supposed to work ;D

Mike

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 01:33:19 am »
OK, here is what I have done so far.  I got some rawhide lace to hold it all together, but ran out of time tonight.  I'll try and get it wrapped up tomorrow.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 01:35:20 am »
A few more.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 11:27:08 am »
that does look interesting Mike - hope she holds up to the the sideways torque :-X. I hate to admit it, but not too long ago I broke down and bought and Ishi with the black plastic handle (can't remember the name of it), My homemade one finally gave up on me - I have realized that I like my wood handle better than this plastic one though..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 11:33:56 am »
Your right Paul, splitting out is one of my major concerns.  The pictures don't show the grain real well, but I'm trying to align the grain so that the growth rings are at a 90 degree angel to the sideways force. I'm going to wrap the tine and the first 1-2 inches of the handle in rawhide to reinforce the handle even more. 

Mike

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 12:29:55 pm »
Looking good.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 12:59:13 pm »
I got it wrapped up with rawhide last night and set it aside to dry.  Should be ready to be packed and make the trip Thursday night. 

Mike