Author Topic: quarantine donuts  (Read 4651 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
quarantine donuts
« on: May 14, 2020, 10:48:59 pm »
1 cup flower
1-1 1/2 tsp baking powder

mix the flower and baking powder

add 6oz of vanilla yogurt or any other plain yogurt (vanilla, chocolate, plain, ect.) and mix.

the dough will be very sticky and very soft. Do NOT add any more flower. put the dough into a Ziploc bag and cut one of the bottom side tips leaving maybe a 1/2" hole so you can squeeze the dough out

get 2" (or 1/2 the pot/pan/fryer but never more than a little bit over half or less than 1") of oil preheated to around 325deg F

when its hot enough that there are bubbles always around a piece of dough when frying, take your bag and squeeze a good sized glob out (a little smaller than a  donut hole or the hole you can make by putting your pointer finger to your thumb) and cut it off into the oil. make sure to not burn yourself when the dough splashes into the oil so try to minimize the splashing and hold the glob close to the oil when cutting.

let it fry to light golden brown, but if its too hot it will get to light golden brown and the insides will still be a little raw which is fine if your ok with it. way to hot and the outside will cook too soon and the inside will burst out making a smaller glob attached to a big glob.

these are very tasty raw if you used a flavored vanilla yogurt (i dont know about plain) and sometimes adding a glaze will make them a little too sweet. you can coat them with sugar, cinnamon sugar, choose to not coat them, coat them with powdered sugar, glaze them etc.

the glaze is simple.

2 cups powdered sugar
2/3 stick of butter
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

make sure the butters soft. I forgot to put the vanilla in and it had an overwhelming taste of powdered sugar instead of a actual glaze so make sure to put the vanilla in.

i havn't tried this one but since it has a bit more milk it might help if the powdered sugar is too sweet

1/4 cup whole milk
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Deerhunter21

Re: quarantine donuts
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 11:01:52 pm »
oh also unglazed or untopped, its not what i would call healthy like vegetable healthy, but come on!!! only flower and yogurt!!! its crazy!!! I can make a couple batches and eat as many as I want and my mom dosn't even care!!! and I can barely tell the difference between a dunkin donut or krispy cream or whatever and these!! well thats a lie, they taste more like scones (very good with honey butter glaze)!!!!!!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 11:58:53 pm »
Sounds good!  However, there is only 1 "u" in flour (lol) -C- (lol) (=) (lol) >:D!  Jacie made up some keto brownies this evening that are very close to decadent!  Gues I will have to dig out my recipe for "Sourdough Death by Double (or Triple) Chocolate Buffaler Chips"!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 07:43:40 am »
in my defense i was and still am very tired  ;D

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 09:46:39 am »
This quarantine thing is a stressor, for sure, regardless of age!  I'm even older school than your dad, and we had to memorize spelling words everyday!  But, at least, you were consistent!  I would like to modify your recipe to make it keto friendly, and see if the doughnuts can be baked, instead of fried!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 08:38:28 am »
i bet they could be baked, just make it so they expand, then once theyve grown a little make it hot to get the outside a little crispy or dont. whatever you like! i have no idea about keto though.