Author Topic: My latest sinew backed Juniper stick:)  (Read 2889 times)

Offline NorthHeart

My latest sinew backed Juniper stick:)
« on: May 15, 2020, 02:09:00 pm »
Sinew backed juniper shortbow #2. Simple D shape bending through the handle. 50” OAL, very modest 43#@23” sending a 530gr arrow @ 151 fps. I really love sinew backed juniper. So smooth on the draw cycle as well as the shot.  Its a great thing that there is plenty of this where i live!  Next to the tried and true Osage i think this wood is quickly becoming my fav!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:18:22 pm by NorthHeart »

Offline NorthHeart

Re: My latest sinew backed Juniper stick:)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 02:10:35 pm »
Last pics...please excuse the fat pics i dont get it. :fp  Im uploading them the exact way ive done it the past twenty times.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 02:14:08 pm »
Beautiful! How long do you let the sinew cure? You seem to post one after the other ;)

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 02:28:45 pm »
DC-hey buddy!  On this type bow, after the last layer of sinew is laid i usually give it 1-2 months.  I have a buddy who has been building sinew shortbows for years and he starts flexing his after only 2 weeks.  Originally i had been waiting the better part of 6 mo, not sure this is necessary any more.  I have read sinew doesnt fully cure for 2 years, but i am not sure that is necessary to wait and not get to flexing in the limbs.  I have also been told the more important part is to keep shooting the bow dont let it sit on the wall for 6 months as its drying.  Im still learning too, so i guess well see.  I was hoping to put this one in BBOM, but with me not being able to figure out this fat picture issue it sure doesn't help lol.  Another popular sites with the initials F and B the pics look much better ;D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 03:08:44 pm »
Im a big fan of Laubin,, he would start shooting some bows after a couple of weeks,,
I do the same,, but its really dry here,, so maybe longer wait depending on climate,,
I am working on a bow 50 inches long,,has about 1000 grains of sinew,, after waiting not quite two weeks I started shooting it,, its holding reflex, and shoots good through the chrono,,that being said,, maybe if I waited longer,, it would hold more reflex and shoot harder,,but I am happy with the results and not having to wait so long,,
when I lived in Texas the bows would keep picking up weight,, it was humid there,, but here,, once they settle in,, they seem to stay pretty good,,I live in Santa Fe NM
I am trying to learn to shoot Sioux style short arrows, so working on that with this bow,,it pulls 55@24 inches of draw,,

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 03:17:41 pm »
Im a big fan of Laubin,, he would start shooting some bows after a couple of weeks,,
I do the same,, but its really dry here,, so maybe longer wait depending on climate,,
I am working on a bow 50 inches long,,has about 1000 grains of sinew,, after waiting not quite two weeks I started shooting it,, its holding reflex, and shoots good through the chrono,,that being said,, maybe if I waited longer,, it would hold more reflex and shoot harder,,but I am happy with the results and not having to wait so long,,
when I lived in Texas the bows would keep picking up weight,, it was humid there,, but here,, once they settle in,, they seem to stay pretty good,,I live in Santa Fe NM
I am trying to learn to shoot Sioux style short arrows, so working on that with this bow,,it pulls 55@24 inches of draw,,
Good info, i enjoy every part of this reply:)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 03:48:50 pm »
Very nice.  What species of Juniper is it?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 08:14:41 pm »
Marc-i sure wish i knew.  I live in MT just north of Missoula.  I really do not know how to tell the Juniper species's apart.  but id be interested in learning that.