Author Topic: Be Vaaawy Quiet  (Read 3154 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Be Vaaawy Quiet
« on: May 16, 2020, 01:08:22 pm »
We’re hunting wabbits.

Willwee I’m not hunting wabbits. They aren’t in Season but they sure are doing good around here.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Be Vaaawy Quiet
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 01:22:53 pm »
Lots of critters are enjoying the lack of human activity.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 01:31:50 pm »
the snowshoes here are boom and bust. some years go by and I see one or two all winter, but when the cycle is at peak I have counted 150 per mile of dirt road. they even eat spruce trees along with every thing else. my neighbor killed 87 off of his 5 acres after loosing his telephone wire where it came up out of the ground and the oxygen sensor wire on his car exhaust pipe.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 02:11:12 pm »
Don’t think these are seeing any less humans. Unless I’m busy in the fields which I guess I have been.
These ones are by my pond and really enjoying my clover cover crop.

I can count three in the picture but I know there’s at least five.

The population has been higher than I can ever remember. For the past several years I thought they had to be close to there peak . But they just keep multiplying like wabbits.
Sure are a lot of predators out there after them. I’m sure the Bald Eagles are enjoying them. Although usually they have fish when I see them with something.

Bjrogg

Offline willie

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 04:53:34 pm »
Seems like here, hawks will move into the area, as I am sure other predators do also.  when the leaves fall you can see lots of rabbit skins with feet hanging in the trees.

Rabbit Fever might be what ends the cycle. People can catch it also. Be careful.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1297/report.pdf

Is number 4 just above the clump of yellow dandelions in the lower left corner?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 04:58:54 pm by willie »

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 11:49:01 pm »
Rabbits and hares do have a population cycle, in fact their cycle is one of the main factors in a habitat cycle!  Haven't had fried bunny for a long time!  Maybe come fall!  Bow Bunny!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 06:40:04 pm »
Come East one state Jerry. 365 day season on them in Kansas.  :)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 11:48:43 pm »
I grew up in Missouri, learned to never hunt one for the pot until after the first hard freeze!  Season here is Oct? Nov to Jan/Feb, I think. Got the little buggers in the front yard, I think they figured out when the dogs are sleeping and use the backyard too!  The next one won't get a free pass!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 09:21:13 am »
^^^
Yeah, I don't bother with them when it's warm either. Easier to just fence around the tasty stuff that they like and leave plenty of clover patches around to distract them.

Offline Corvus

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 01:19:55 pm »
Seems like here, hawks will move into the area, as I am sure other predators do also.  when the leaves fall you can see lots of rabbit skins with feet hanging in the trees.

Rabbit Fever might be what ends the cycle. People can catch it also. Be careful.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1297/report.pdf

Is number 4 just above the clump of yellow dandelions in the lower left corner?

That fever is what has been culling the population here. See posters about the rabbit hemorrhagic fever all the time
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 02:04:10 pm »
I did a 5 mile run this morning about 4 am and I couldn't believe how many rabbits were actually in my way and on the side of the road.
1’—>1’

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 02:19:28 pm »
I did a 5 mile run this morning about 4 am and I couldn't believe how many rabbits were actually in my way and on the side of the road.

Driving my tractor down the gravel roads at dusk is very entertaining.
Bjrogg

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 09:08:13 pm »
Never mind the tularemia knocking the rabbits down. We have a new virus in town. It is called Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Virus type 2 and it is wiping out entire populations wholesale. Not reducing populations, not limiting populations, it's genocidal.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 12:00:42 am »
Bunnrvid-2?  That is a serious problem for the food chain!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 12:36:42 pm »
I shoot rabbits on site any time I see them or they give me a chance for a shot around the farm.We don't have the garden rabbit proofed.
Did you ever plow BJ?Ground squirrels will take out 100 foot stretches of corn rows.I used to shoot dozens of ground squirrels finishing up on the last strip.Badgers would take care of them eventually but they leave a big hole for the tire of the tractor to fall into.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed