Author Topic: Yet Another Tree ID Question  (Read 1074 times)

Offline mmattockx

Yet Another Tree ID Question
« on: May 23, 2020, 12:26:28 pm »
This is in our backyard and some of it needs to come down. It is a cedar/juniper sort of thing and the trunks are easily large enough and straight enough to get some useful wood out of. But is it worth the effort?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Yet Another Tree ID Question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 03:14:00 pm »
My first thought is hemlock but will you post pics of the needles(leaves).  I've never heard of hemlock as bow wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 03:43:29 pm »
A lot of little knots and pins on those trunks. I personally wouldn't cut a tree that had those issues unless it was a genuine yew.
No idea what type of softwood it is, sorry.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 08:42:38 pm »
A closer shot of the needles:

Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 10:52:05 pm »
Not a hemlock but I don't recognize what it is. Where do you live? That might be a clue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 11:02:51 pm »
I was just looking in a tree ID book to make sure what i had in my back yard was ERC... and  to mee those needles look like a juniper of some kind...there are lots of different kinds it doesnt look like hemlock though hemlocks needles more resemble spruce or pine, i use hemlock  for tanning hides.. very pretty color.

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 11:39:19 pm »
Not a hemlock but I don't recognize what it is. Where do you live? That might be a clue.

Central Alberta, Canada. It is in a residential yard so could have come from anywhere. It is definitely a cedar or juniper type of bush, they are used extensively here for landscaping but there are so many varieties that it could be one of many choices.

It is encroaching on our neighbours fence and trees so I will be taking the branch off that is the main offender. I will keep it, strip the bark off and see what it looks like after a year of drying.

Mark

Offline BAfromPA

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 06:04:16 am »
I'm thinking it is an arborvitae like thuja occidentalis. If that is the case then no, this is not bow worthy. If the branch has a bunch of compression wood you might be able to do a sinew backed 'backwards' bow.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 09:22:10 am »
I'm thinking it is an arborvitae like thuja occidentalis. If that is the case then no, this is not bow worthy.

+1

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 10:38:41 am »
I'm thinking it is an arborvitae like thuja occidentalis. If that is the case then no, this is not bow worthy. If the branch has a bunch of compression wood you might be able to do a sinew backed 'backwards' bow.

That's too bad. I will still take care of it when I cut it off, just in case, but it may be well tended firewood in the end.

Mark