Author Topic: Consistency with an ELB?  (Read 3067 times)

Offline mmattockx

Consistency with an ELB?
« on: May 20, 2020, 02:31:42 pm »
This is just a matter of curiosity for me, but how do people find any consistency shooting ELB's? With no handle to locate your hand and no shelf or fixed arrow pass how do you manage to grip it the same each time and set the arrow correctly in relation to the string? I know moving my nocking point on the string 1/4" will significantly affect how the arrows fly and it seems one would never get that close on a regular basis with an ELB. Is there some trick I haven't noticed?

Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Consistency with an ELB?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 04:28:16 pm »
Every ELB I've seen has a definite handle area and arrow pass location and for me their length makes them more stable and accurate to shoot. You can also feel if you are holding the bow in the right location if it is balanced in your hand.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Strelets

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 06:39:43 am »
First settle your hand into your usual grip on the bow. Then nock the arrow, taking care to get it at exactly right angles to the string. The eye is a very good judge of right angles. The, if you think that you need to, move the arrow nock up 1/8 inch or so.
I agree with Pat about bow length. The longer the bow, the steadier it is to shoot. My bows are usually 75 to 78 inches. Anything longer is too clumsy to take round the woods.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 09:24:59 am »
As Pat B said, there is often an arrow passed either marked or inlaid, if there is also a nocking point on the string you have consistency.
The long limbs give a smooth stable shot.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 10:44:21 am »
Thanks for the info. I can see consistency if there is a handle definition of some sort and an inlaid arrow pass to act as a reference. I agree the long bows shoot better, there are sound reasons why the Olympic archers all shoot 70+" bows.

Mark

Online willie

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 11:56:27 pm »
I can see consistency if there is a handle definition of some sort and an inlaid arrow pass to act as a reference.

You don't even need the mark at the arrow pass if you hold the bow consistent. With my arm down at my side, I balance the bow in the bow hand on my middle finger with the top tip slightly above the horizontal.  I have a pinhead sized pebble epoxied to the handle that registers to the balance point on my middle fingertip

Offline Strelets

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 01:04:44 am »
I hold my arm out with palm down, thumb opposed to the palm, balance the bow on my thumb and then close my hand.

Offline HH~

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 07:29:47 am »
Thats the great thing about a ELB. You can grab it and make it shoot how you want it to for the range your shooting by adjusting hand!

I know where to hold for 80m and for 15m. They will drop an arra on a dime. Just have to see what makes each one really shine.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 08:24:39 am »
When I'm building bows I shoot them all before finishing, before indicating an arrow pass and before indicating a nock point. I go by balance in my bow hand, balance as I draw and an approximate nock point I've worked out over years of shooting and I shoot pretty well in this situation, maybe not competition well but well enough to hit pretty close to where I'm aiming and see how well the bow shoots.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HH~

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 05:45:25 am »
Thats correct. Long before you finish arra pass or a shelf the bow must feel correct in hand even if tiller is done. If using non matching billets you had better get bow in hand and figure out what it needs to balance at full draw.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW