Author Topic: Fur slipping on rabbit pelts  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Fox

Fur slipping on rabbit pelts
« on: July 19, 2021, 05:14:56 pm »
Why can’t I flesh rabbit pelts without huge swaths of fur slipping? I’ve kept the fur dry, but tons of fur comes out while I’m trying to flesh them, I store them in the freezer until I’m ready to tan. I use a large log propped up and a fleshing knife to flesh them.

Help? It’s super upsetting watching the beautiful fur slip out
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Fur slipping on rabbit pelts
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 06:50:37 pm »
Welcome back where've you been?    :D

I don't know a lot about it, but I do know that even a slightly rotted skin can slip fur.  Did you shoot the rabbits yourself?  What is your tanning method? If you slip all of the fur you might get nice soft handle leather.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 07:10:11 pm »
I'm just guessing but you may have to soak them in an alum solution first to set the fur so it doesn't slip.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 07:52:40 pm »
Fox....Furs so thin such as rabbit hides are'nt meant to be fleshed on a fleshing beam with a fleshing knife.You will cut right through or crush the hair roots.Rabbits have very little flesh on the hide as it is mostly membrane on them.Pick off the excees fat and the little flesh on them with a very sharp knife.Same thing can happen doing thin opposum hides too.
With rabbit skins I suggest after pulling the hide off.Flesh as suggested and salt it.Let flint dry[which is partially dry but still pliable].Scuff it between your hands and the dry membrane will crack slightly to be pulled off.Resalt and let fully dry then and hair roots will set good.Shake off excess salt and then tan it to your liking.
PS....Even well tanned rabbit skins will shed hair slightly.
I like winter hides lined inside of leather gloves.Warmest gloves you can get.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 09:39:37 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Fox

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 10:02:20 pm »
Thanks so much for the post bow Ed, I was really hoping you’d see this thread. You just answered a bunch of questions I had perfectly ;D

I’ve been reading your bobcat tanning thread.
I’ll salt them then, none iodized salt?  Thanks again  :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 11:45:11 pm by Fox »

Offline Fox

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 10:07:23 pm »
Pat, thanks for the reply, I wasn’t sure about the alum salutation, and I thought that you had to flesh it before soaking in alum anyway, so I was not sure alum soak would fix this?

Tradecraft, I’ve just been busy working and starting over in a few areas, totally cleaning out the shop and forge, now I can work on hides for a little bit then I’ll get back on the trade bow and such.

These pelts are from a friend of mine, they know how to handle them correctly though, they were straight off the rabbit and into the freezer.