Author Topic: Steam bending laminated arrows.  (Read 1557 times)

Offline gfugal

Steam bending laminated arrows.
« on: May 22, 2020, 08:34:04 am »
I made some laminated arrow shafts, but despite gluing them between two straight boards, some of them still have a slight bend to them. I glued them up with titebond three. If I steamed them (to prevent the heat from getting above 215 F), would I be safe? I have some straight ones, and I guess I don't have anything g to lose by trying it on the bent ones as they aren't functional as is. I just was curious if anyone has done it successfully before.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline DC

Re: Steam bending laminated arrows.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 09:30:51 am »
I would use dry heat. You don't really need a lot of heat to get a little bend. Just get it a little on the hot side of warm.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 11:54:14 am »
You could try burnishing the outside of the bends with a smooth screwdriver shank and see if that works first. All Titebond glues release at 150 deg(F) so there is a chance applying any heat source could damage the glue lines.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gfugal

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 08:27:31 am »
You guys were right, localized dry heat (heat gun) on the trouble spots was better than steaming the whole shaft. That created more problems as it dried out than it fixed. So far they have held up, but I still need more testing. I'm still trying to get the spine right with bare shaft testing. Once it is done I'll post some photos.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.