Author Topic: Target anxiety  (Read 5087 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Target anxiety
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 07:30:06 pm »
Leave your rose shafts longer. For each inch over 28" you can subtract 5# of spine weight. So you start with a heavily spined shaft, say 60#, cut it to 30" and it's dynamic spine will be 50#. Add a 150gr point and get it down to 45#. The natural taper of many shoot shafts will allow for up to 10# of spine spread meaning it can be shootable from 45# to 55# with a shaft spineing 50#.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Black Moshannon

Re: Target anxiety
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 10:13:43 pm »
Leave your rose shafts longer. For each inch over 28" you can subtract 5# of spine weight. So you start with a heavily spined shaft, say 60#, cut it to 30" and it's dynamic spine will be 50#. Add a 150gr point and get it down to 45#. The natural taper of many shoot shafts will allow for up to 10# of spine spread meaning it can be shootable from 45# to 55# with a shaft spineing 50#.

I see how that would work. I used your formula which I got off another post awhile ago whenever I was trying to decide what size and weight head to put on.. some of my arrows were too stiff. Worked great, the arrows stopped clattering off the bow when I put on heavier broadheads. I don’t know if there is any natural taper left in my shafts because I turn them into dowel rods pretty much by using a plane, knife and sandpaper