Author Topic: Rasp Storage?  (Read 1112 times)

Offline mmattockx

Rasp Storage?
« on: May 22, 2020, 11:33:47 am »
I don't know if this goes in Bows or not, but I figure it can be moved if necessary...

It turns out I have collected a fair number of rasps and large files in the last few months and I am now struggling to find a good way to store them. A few have handles with holes in them and those get hung on the wall, but most don't. I know not to pile them together as it damages the teeth, so what do I do with them to keep them safe, orderly and avoid cluttering up my bench or shelves?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rasp Storage?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 11:47:34 am »
You could make a cloth sleeve with a pocket for each rasp. It would protect the rasps and breath so they shouldn't rust.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Corvus

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 11:48:02 am »
I have been inundated with files and rasp as well, I just toss them in a pile with strips of cardboard as spacers
Don't worry, we got yew!
-PNW

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 12:11:39 pm »
Pat B has a good idea!  A little organization never hurts, I have as little as possible.  I try to keep them in the original wrapper, box, etc. the rest are either stuck in slots on the bench or incorrectly stored in a can!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 12:32:42 pm »
I made a little 1/8" plywood sleeve for my farriers rasp. I slip a piece of bicycle tube over my Shinto. The bike tube would probably fit most rasps.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 12:33:02 pm »
I wrap them in newspaper or a paper towel and put them in a draw. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 12:43:59 pm »
iv'e seen guys wrap them in rags to store them together and the bicycle tube too.
i think Pat B has a good idea, find someone who can sew if you don't want to teach yourself and make one of the tool rolls like you see carvers keep all their knives in.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 01:38:46 pm »
All of my rasps are stored in bike inner tubes when I'm not using them.  I can throw them all in my tool box and the cutting surfaces never touch anything except wood.  I'm very particular with my bow making tools.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Weylin

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 02:54:59 pm »
That's a good idea, Clint.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 03:14:15 pm »
You could make a cloth sleeve with a pocket for each rasp. It would protect the rasps and breath so they shouldn't rust.

Yep. It is what I use.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 08:59:11 pm »
Go to your local fire station and ask for some of their throw away fire hose.  2 1/2" works for horse shoe rasps, 2" for regular rasps, 1" or "garden hose" for smaller files and rasps.  It is flat and retains its shape to hold the tools in place.  Split the larger hose and it makes excellent covers for draw knives with a bicycle inner tube cut into rubber bands to slip over the hose holding it in place.

bownarra

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 07:14:28 am »
I have magnetic tool rails fixed to the wall. They hold everything perfectly to hand and safe from damage.