Author Topic: Intruder  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Intruder
« on: June 03, 2020, 07:29:14 am »
A few days ago we had this guy come around and trash one of our bird feeders.  I didn't have my trail cam set up then but he came back last night and took a go at the feeders again.  He didn't break anything this time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkgzki89foM

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Intruder
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 07:34:46 am »
Cool... Nothing that exciting in the UK :(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 08:32:26 am »
Awful destructive critters.He will destroy again.They've destroyed many feeders' of my friends up farther north.My most destructive critter around here is a coon.
How you figuring on getting rid of him or her?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 08:40:30 am »
A few weeks ago our dog, Maggie was sounding her "snake bark". When I went down in creek below the house where she and Rosie were there was in fact a banded water snake. This past Saturday afternoon she started it again in the same place so I went to see again and instead of a snake a 300# bear stuck her head around a tree on the other side of the creek from where both dogs were. I got them to follow me back home after we ran her off. About an hour later the dogs went back out and headed right back for the creek and started barking again. Again I went back and she was back again. I gathered the dogs again and headed home. This time the dogs were kept in the house for the night.
 There only a few reasons she would have come back, food, which there was none available or she had cubs. The next morning the dogs and I went back to investigate and found a large locust with claw marks going up the tree and loose bark around the base.
 I don't worry much about Maggie getting in trouble with the wildlife here. She's been dealing with them since we got her 4 years ago and knows to keep her distance but aggravate the bears, and coyotes to run them off which she does all the time.
 I don't feed the birds in the summer just to be sure I don't have anything that will attract them to the house but I love knowing they are out there.
 To answer Ed's question...bring the bird feeders in at night or they will be back in their search for food.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 11:40:54 am »
This Bear is a decent size but it's small compared to the one we had by our house a few years ago.  That Bear was easily 500# +

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 01:07:49 pm »
I don't feed birds in the summer so that eliminates a lot of my problems.
I've got my solution for problem bears though.It's called pain avoidance training to put it nicely.Without killing them of course.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 07:13:25 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JEB

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 08:54:25 pm »
THIS guy showed up a couple of weeks ago. Disregard the date and time. Grandson forgot to change the info. He is sitting about 16 feet from the deck.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 11:40:03 pm »
Not sure of the season, but new rug anyone?!  neat pics!  Btw, I don't hunt bears on purpose!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 05:38:09 pm »
My wife woke up when he pulled the feeders from the wire we have them hung from, it made a twang that resonated through the house.  The feeders are right outside our kitchen window and we have a hanging planter right in front of the window.  She pulled the curtain aside to have a look just in time for him to come up to the window for a look at the feeder.  He was probably no more than a couple feet from her face.  I think that was when she started to yell at me to get up.... :o

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com