Author Topic: Laburnum question  (Read 873 times)

Offline DC

Laburnum question
« on: May 19, 2020, 04:38:24 pm »
I have a couple of iffy Laburnum billets. I'm not sure how iffy. One of them had greyish funny looking sapwood so I removed the sapwood. The other looks good but  I will remove the sapwood from it, I guess. Will Laburnum heartwood by itself make a bow? How rot resistant is Laburnum heartwood? Maybe sinew back? They are not straight enough for bamboo backing.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Laburnum question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 11:04:50 pm »
Laburnum is good bow wood. you can use the heartwood only: http://primitive-bows.com/golden-chain-tree-take-down-5328-no-21/
Use the sap wood only if not greyish (mostly the beginning of  fungus attack). Intact sap wood makes a great looking contrast to the choco colored heartwood. Good luck!

edit
here are some sap /heartwood problems: http://primitive-bows.com/buildalong-of-a-hld-bow-no-33/

« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 11:15:05 pm by simson »
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 12:08:20 am »
Premium bow wood. The heartwood is excellent. It is superb sinew backed. Narrow and thick gives the best performance like yew.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 12:51:14 pm »
I'm kind of working this as a side project so it's taking a long time. I've read in a few spots how hard this wood is but mine seems to cut like butter with a draw knife. At least compared to other woods. It makes a nice satisfying crunchy noise. Is this normal? I'm still a little unsure of the quality of this particular piece. Not sure if the pictures will tell you anything.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 12:57:22 pm by DC »

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 12:24:07 am »
That looks perfect. Yes be careful with the drawknife it can lift out any grain dips. I wouldn't say it is particularly hard.