Author Topic: problems with impromptu bowstring.  (Read 876 times)

Offline Sammakesbows

problems with impromptu bowstring.
« on: May 23, 2020, 08:55:34 pm »
I made a temporary bowstring for my maple board bow from a nylon (or something) garden cord. I noticed that the bow wobbled when shot. I also noticed that the string makes a plucking noise heard after the shot. I noticed that the draw weight is lower than expected (which might be due to being too long). Is this due to the bowsting? The string doesn't have problems with stretching.

Offline RyanY

Re: problems with impromptu bowstring.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 09:08:42 pm »
Even if you don’t notice it stretching it could still be stretching quite a bit during shooting. Final draw weight changes very little from low to normal branch heights. Is the wobble hand shock?

Offline Sammakesbows

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 11:48:23 pm »
Even if you don’t notice it stretching it could still be stretching quite a bit during shooting. Final draw weight changes very little from low to normal branch heights. Is the wobble hand shock?
Can the stretch throw off draw weight and cast? Also, it isn't hand shock, the hadle doesn't even bend. The wobble is in the limbs.

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 12:00:23 am »
Nylon is no good at all for bow strings. A bow string is a specialized cord not just a piece of garden twine haha. Learn how to reverse twist and either buy some B50 (still stretchy) or a fastflight derivative, even braided fishing line.
If you don't want to go down that route there are many suppliers of quality strings.
Yes all those things you mention could be down to a stretchy string.

Offline Sammakesbows

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 08:08:36 pm »
Nylon is no good at all for bow strings. A bow string is a specialized cord not just a piece of garden twine haha. Learn how to reverse twist and either buy some B50 (still stretchy) or a fastflight derivative, even braided fishing line.
If you don't want to go down that route there are many suppliers of quality strings.
Yes all those things you mention could be down to a stretchy string.
Yeah it was temporary I will replace it with a better one in the next few days. I twisted two strands of garden twine and it seems to help with the problem.

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 09:16:06 pm »
I dont think stretch van cause weight loss if you pull so far that you have the same tip movement.