Author Topic: Cracks in shaf  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Cracks in shaf
« on: May 24, 2020, 11:20:30 am »
Probably already know the answer, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Have a couple of cracks near the nock end of a dogwood shaft.  The longest looks like it won't run past the fletching.  Is this salvageable?

Were I to wrap sinew around the ends of fletches and self nock would that prevent this from being hazardous?

Can't find dogwood locally so it pains me to have to discard a shaft.

Thanks.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cracks in shaf
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 12:14:50 pm »
Most shafting shoots will check if the bark is removed too soon. The only shoot I know of that will not check is sourwood.
 Fill the check with super glue and continue on. That section may be a little stiffer but other than that it shouldn't be a problem. I made a viburnum arrow a few years back that checked badly. I super glued the checks and the arrow worked just fine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 04:57:24 pm »
Thanks Pat.  In addition to learning about checked shoots, I also learned today that chucking one in a drill to sand...the torque can and will open that check up and completely shred that end of the shaft.

Well, it was worth a try.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 12:12:31 am »
Might also wrap the Fletches with silk thread, and seal.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 08:46:58 am »
Here's a tid bit to think about. A few years ago I had a hair line crack in a shaft in the fletching area. I had it come apart and a good size piece with fletching and cresting paint going into my hand right behind the index knuckle. It disintegrated like shrapnel inside of my left hand. I ended up in surgery for 3 hours getting all of the junk out and four nights in the hospital on anti biotics. The surgeon said If I had waited longer there was a good chance I would have lost my hand from infection.

So now, it's not worth it to me just to save a shaft I might lose shooting anyway.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 02:55:41 pm »
Mullet, thanks for sharing and I hope you got back to 100% on that hand.

I'm still new to shooy shafts so I'll take your experience with the importance it deserves.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline TimBo

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 05:32:22 pm »
I'm with Mullet on this one - it never seems worth the risk to me when there is a flaw like that in an arrow.  Maybe you could use the rest for footings?  Or build a plains style quiver and use that shaft for the stiffener.