Author Topic: My first self bow hunt coming up...  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Azmdted

My first self bow hunt coming up...
« on: May 08, 2020, 02:45:53 pm »
Hi all,

Next week I will take on my first self bow hunt for wild pigs in South Carolina.  I'll be using my 66" NTN Osage flatbow pulling 50 pounds at 29".  I'll be using Gold Tip 400s with Zwickey eskimo 2 blade points.  Since I bought them I found the thread on 4 edge v 2 edge, too late for this hunt. Oh well, next time.  My primary hunting experience was with a compound 30 years ago in Arizona and rifle hunting out west since then for elk, whitetail, mule deer, javelina and antelope.  I moved back here 7 years ago and took up bow making last year, and now eastern bowhunting. 

I'll be in a stand over feeders, something I thought I would never do.  But for my first hunt like this at age 60 I figured I'd give it a try.  My goal is to get a good eater or two, not wall hangers.  I want my new wife to appreciate game meat.  As long as I called it free range and organic she was good with me going.  Any advice for me?  From what I've heard an 80-100 pound pig is ideal, preferably a sow.  I've picked up that the vitals are lower and a bit further forward from deer, so I'll try to punch it in right behind the front leg.

I appreciate any advice or thoughts.

Have a good weekend,

Ted   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: My first self bow hunt coming up...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 03:49:12 pm »
Happy hunting.   :OK  (SH)   (-_)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC