Author Topic: Gluing in Multilam Reflex  (Read 8636 times)

Offline Tommy D

Re: Gluing in Multilam Reflex
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2020, 02:44:42 pm »
Deepened the string groove on the weak side and did some “limb training” ... alignment seems to be holding better now... it’s pulling 55# at about 20inches.

I think the bottom limb a little stiff... and the top limb bends more close to the handle... will look again tomorrow ...

Offline DC

« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2020, 03:07:19 pm »
Yup I agree, bottom is stiff. I like these gifs. I've got a bow looks very much like that, in the corner of shame. It keeps twisting off too

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2020, 01:00:33 am »
I like these gifs. I've got a bow looks very much like that, in the corner of shame. It keeps twisting off too

Do you ever shoot it?

If all else fails I can always cut the tips off and glue in shot short static recurves I think!

Offline DC

« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2020, 10:22:35 am »
Never got it to half draw. One tip starts to go sideways. You're doing better that me. It's maple backed Yew. Just under an inch wide at the widest.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2020, 11:16:44 am »
Just under an inch wide at the widest.

Wow that’s narrow. I can see how it would keep flipping. I have it so I can put a few arrows through at a short draw.

Fair bit of hand shock!

Wondering if I can sort of hollow out the recurves - sort of widen the string grooves. Thinking this might be a good way to loose some mass but not affect their stability... It’s just a thought at this stage.

Still need to balance this tiller. It’s taken about an inch of set so far...

Offline DC

« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2020, 11:22:12 am »
Well done!

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2020, 12:55:01 pm »
Tempted to take an inch or two off the tips - trying to figure out how to lose some of the hand shock. I can keep thinning the limbs but worried about stability. It’s a learning curve for sure - but starting to like the good old R/D more and more!!

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2020, 02:13:54 pm »

Back on this bow. It’s a trilam. Bent some deflex in and then pulled in the reflex. The outer tips were kerfed to get the Ipe to bend. I am not sure what style one would call it! It’s a bit long I think at 66” nock to nock unbraced. But the piece of wood was 71” to start so that’s all in the bend. I know the left limb still a bit stiff and I struggled initially to keep the string on the recurve but it seems fine now. Have shot it a fair bit at short draw.

Trying to decide whether I carry on or take something off the tips. Kinda where the string loops are in the unbraced picture. Sort of a zero backset.

Would this increase or decrease the speed at the same poundage? A mass vs backset thing.  I know it would prob be a better bow to carry strung all day.

A part of me feels finish it as is; I’ve come this far. It’s been a lesson.  But I don’t love how long and unwieldy it is?

Thoughts much appreciated

Offline DC

« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2020, 03:19:48 pm »
I tend to like reflex and as long as you can still string it I would leave it. If you pike it you will gain some draw weight but you will lose some speed I think but the only time I did that I reduced the DW that I'd gained by piking so that may have been the cause of the speed loss.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2020, 05:40:33 pm »
Well you sure do make some nice recurves! I am thinking now I will make it for a friend. I only draw 26/27 inches. I have a friend with a 30/31 inch draw - I think at that sort of draw length it might start making sense

Offline DC

« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2020, 06:47:50 pm »
Work up to that DL step by step watching for the limbs twisting off.