Author Topic: Splicing static recurves onto R/D bow  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Tommy D

Splicing static recurves onto R/D bow
« on: May 30, 2020, 05:11:02 am »
I was thinking of splicing some short static recurves into an existing R/D bow I built that is a little low poundage for my liking. It’s bamboo backed ipe. I’ve tried kerfing the Ipe but it’s difficult to get a really tight bend so was thinking of using a different wood and splicing the tips in.

Would I bump up the poundage much and is this a “doable” project or better to start from scratch?

Offline DC

Re: Splicing static recurves onto R/D bow
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 08:16:19 am »
You would be increasing the reflex with the recurve but you might be extending the length. These would counter each other so you might not gain much. But since it's bamboo backed I would heat the backing carefully and peel it off for the last 6" or so. Then "V" joint in your recurved pieces and glue the boo back down. I've done quite a bit of peeling bamboo backing off it the last while and it's not hard to do. I use West Sys 105/205 epoxy that may make a difference.
 It may be easier to start again. :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 08:43:26 am »
If the boo/ipe is a viable bow but a little under weight why not build another and give that one away to someone it fits. Like DC said you may just come out the same with the recurves added plus you'll be adding more stress to the existing bow and that could be detrimental too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 09:05:54 am »
Thanks DC - have u found the heat damages the epoxy where you haven’t peeled the bamboo? Or it seems to take heating and cooling fine? I’ve used G-Flex on this one - but I may follow Pat’s advise and start from scratch. Has anyone managed to do tight statics in Ipe? It sure is hard to bend.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 09:53:36 am »
Thanks DC - have u found the heat damages the epoxy where you haven’t peeled the bamboo? Or it seems to take heating and cooling fine? I’ve used G-Flex on this one - but I may follow Pat’s advise and start from scratch. Has anyone managed to do tight statics in Ipe? It sure is hard to bend.

I use a heat gun and only heat where I want to remove the boo, if that's what you're asking :) The heating also tends to cup the boo so you might have to reflatten the gluing surface.

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 11:43:56 am »
You can safely splice in some recurves. If you want the weight to increase make sure the overall length goes down by a couple of inches. Short sharp recurves are best for this.
The recurve will actually make the bow easier to draw because they are in effect levers added to the limb ends allowing a thicker working limb to be bent for the same effort, hence why the overall length must go down for any weight increase.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 05:50:00 pm »
Just shorten a bit and splice in  some hooks of Elm.