Author Topic: Black Hills, white canvas, and social distancing  (Read 3391 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Black Hills, white canvas, and social distancing
« on: May 30, 2020, 10:28:05 am »
Heartily sick of the conveniences of life, I felt the need to social distance myself. This was unrelated to any guidelines or recommendations except those aching in my heart for solitude.

I got off to a slow start and didn't get to the site until early evening. I was saddened to see this site of several years of turkey camp had been logged off. The beautiful tall timber is now gone, leaving raw, sap bleeding yellow stumps. Too late to start exploring for a new camp, I set up in the middle of a little patch of spindly doghair pines. And got dinner started.

Near 100 yr cast iron took care of both frying potatoes and thick.cut ribeye. As they sizzles in the black iron, I opened a bottle of rich Willamette Valley pinot. Slopping a little of the purple slurple in a coffee mug, I.swirled the bottle to hasten the "breathing". The dog supervised with an increasingly critical eye.

I sparked up the old Coleman lantern and the familiar soft roaring stirred the dark backwaters of memory bringing up the tastes, smells, sounds, and heartwarming feelings of many previous camps. Some were memories of camp with friends, but many more were of the solitude that heals what ails within me. It is a condition in me that cannot be cured or eliminated, only temporarily held in all too brief remission.

My physical body satiated,  I turned the lantern off and poured out the last of the fine ruby juice on my mug. Darkness began to feel as comforting as an old, well-worn flannel shirt. My eyes adjusted to the scant light of the thin wedge of moon, low clouds scuffing across her silver face.

The rain came as I slid into my cot, thunder and lightning put on a show, a real rock and roll lullaby. I turned over and over sorta like a fish outa water, but I knew this was but the first night in camp. I'd nap tomorrow and sleep better that night.  Eventually sunrise surprised me and I wondered when it was that sleep came stealing into the tent on it's silent moccasins.

Fog socked us in and coffee only just barely pushed the cottony wisps from my brain. Lena wolfed her breakfast and was off like a shot on her own secret adventures. When I adopted her, she was a feral. That will forever be a key component of her makeup. I suspect she needs this time as much as me.

So, yeah, I am as socially isolated as 4G let's me be. And, yeah, I am reaching out to the P.A. gang to post this. The Tennessee Classic was cancelled, dozens of other events following suit and lots of folks are hunkered in place, unhappy with conditions. I'm hoping for just a while, as you read this, that you can escape the confines of your immediacy to feed that within YOU that needs the treatment solitude offers. I am on less often these days, posting less and less. But I still care about and for each and everyone of you.

Be well. Take care of yourself as you take care of others.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Black Hills, white canvas, and social distancing
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 10:30:43 am »
Visited an old friend. This natural bonsai has been growing out of this rock a good, long time.

Offline Azmdted

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 10:38:04 am »
That’s great.  I’m envious.  Love the Black Hills.  Enjoy your refreshment, best kind there is.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 10:41:30 am »
Good for you for getting out, John. Best social distancing ever!!!
How old do you recon that pine is...hundreds...?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 11:16:19 am »
Thanks for that JW! nice interlude to life. Summer in Yosemite is going to be a crazy one!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 11:31:29 am »
Good for you for getting out, John. Best social distancing ever!!!
How old do you recon that pine is...hundreds...?

Dunno, couldn't guess. But I reckon it's old enough to have mastered the art of patience. I imagine it sees me as just another flash in the pan, here and gone. Fortunately, it's a courteous and tolerant host, allowing me to come and go.as I see fit, say what's on my mind, and keeps its judgement to itself.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 11:47:52 am »
Lena taking a forced break from running the woods.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 01:39:40 pm »
John, it's nice to have copacetic overseers.   Lena looks like she was wading in the creek. I recognize the water line.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BrianS

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 02:29:23 pm »
Nice Camp

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 03:16:07 pm »
..............only temporarily held in all too brief remission.

Nice camp, JW. Glad to see you got a chance to get away. it's good for the soul.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 03:51:18 pm »
Too bad about the logging!  Hopefully some new growth will start taking over!  Maybe the turkey roosts are still there.  Nice view of the "rock pile".  Hope there can be another "turkey camp" soon!  We are busy trying to get everything sorted and packed to move.  Just a hop, skip, and a jump down 385 to Chappell!  Glad you were able to get some "distancing" time!  Take care, stay safe, and give Lena an extra goodie!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 06:55:49 pm »
You did good. Real good.

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 09:00:05 pm »
Recognize that camp setup, John.  Looks good set up again in near the same spot.  Glad you're getting some solitude.  Was going to do a turkey camp in one of my favorite areas only to find the same thing you did.  Land tore up by heavy machinery, HUGE stacks of slash, busted trees and lots of bleeding stumps.  (Big sigh)  Guess we have to have pine lumber to build new abodes with but, man, what a sorry sight to be surprised by. Black Hills has the most roads per square mile, most logged national forest in the country.  Seems to be getting worse.

Enjoy the solitude just the same.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 03:08:43 am »
Thank You JW - was right there with You  (=) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 07:20:46 am »
JW, nice camp set up gotta love that white canvas, Last week dug my pyramid tent out and went for a 3 day adventure, didn't get any pics. Logging always looks messy but grows back and recovers quickly, Stay safe. Bob