Author Topic: Found them[red fox family] / Along with kennel pictures  (Read 2122 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Found them[red fox family] / Along with kennel pictures
« on: May 31, 2020, 06:22:17 am »
Some time ago earlier this spring I was seeing a red fox around the house.I finally found their den in a pile of rip rap over the fence on my neighbors ground.The young are pretty big already.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 07:18:37 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Found them
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 06:27:31 am »
Cool. Looks like Mom found a good den site.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 06:32:41 am »
The coyotes are hard on the fox around here.With the increase of varmint hunting with rifles around here the fox have been making a better stand from it all.I have dog running neighbors here too that run a lot of coyotes.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 06:39:53 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 06:33:24 am »
Cool picture Ed.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 06:47:57 am »
They are excellent mouse catchers.As are coyotes but they are more of a threat and nuisance[killing cats and small house dogs],and we have plenty of field mice around here.Just an observation on the ebb and flow of the local wild life around here.
BowEd
Ed

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 07:20:37 am »
Good turkey egg and polt eaters as well. They are nice and not as populus with all the coyotes abouts.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 07:40:00 am »
They are my favorite animals to watch. Knew there were pups around when you showed that picture awhile back. Around here the red fox are making a decent comeback after years of torment from the coyotes. They seem to have moved closer to the humans and are less afraid of them than the coyotes.

Those pups look healthy.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 07:44:57 am »
The coyotes are'nt hurting our turkey populations but they try that's for sure.
I was in a tree stand the other day calling in 3 long beards.They were coming in on a frozen rope.Right at about 50 yards away a coyote trotted through between me and the long beards and messed things up.
Sticking close to the edges of town and farm yards is the way the red fox has been getting by in the past,but as for now they are expanding some.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 09:03:05 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 05:23:39 am »
Nice I have some young ones in my back yard also, see them every now and then. We use to have a lot of reds and grays here, not so much anymore since the yotes have gotten so well established. Always liked seeing them, not so much with the coyotes.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 05:44:49 am »
We have way more grey's around than reds around. My dad lived in the U.P. of Michigan and he took a photo of a silver fox which are really nice looking. I took a grey one morning bow hunting with a recurve. Had a full body mount made. When I look at him I wonder how I hit him with such a small body.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 06:59:27 am »
I've got a red mounted in the house too that my dad had made years and years ago too.A black squirrel too....Ha Ha.A silver is awful pretty too.I was always kinda going to get into taxidermy as a business when younger but was destined for farming.I did settle in to learning how to tan though.
Not many grays around but have seen them.Curious little things.One came within 30 foot of me once while leaning against a tree at night  waiting for the hounds to strike.They are smaller overall than reds.
I traded a red fox hat I made for a wood carving of a treeing hound my friend made once.Mounted it on top of first kennel housing I made.Just 5 runs.Something I'm proud of.Mostly the hounds though.

Made a more sophisticated kennel with 8 runs/a puppy excersize area/pad heated houses/and gutter and septic system later.

Moved the kennel with me when I moved too and remade excersize area for pups.Enclosed with 6' tall corn crib paneling made out of 1/4" galvanized rod.Think I took down 8 cribs averaging around 120' of 6' tall paneling from each crib.

Sign of credit to those deserving the credit.The hounds made me a ton of money back in them days [in the 10's of thousands] with all their winnings and titles  with pups and stud fees.At least 7 generations of my own bred and trained winning hounds over 30 years worth.

All in all the hounds left the fox/coyotes/and deer alone [even possum] and just ran coon.I've got a modest cement 4 run kennel now where I live.I won't move again!!!
Outside

Inside

Custom made professional sign traded for with a tanned hair on elk hide.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 08:39:40 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Found them[red fox family] / Along with kennel pictures
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 11:24:15 am »
Nice layout there, Ed!  Neat pics of the fox, too!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 04:09:56 pm »
It's a good hobby.It'll keep you in shape.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 12:05:09 am »
Used to have room to let my Irish Wolfhounds exercise free, and run with them!  A somewhat civilized event called lure coursing came about from the west coast and people were aghast when I asked "Do you get to run with the Hounds?" - hardly ever went back.  But I was in good shape and Company SGM, and Ops SGT!  The miniature Dachshunds don't run as fast, but they think they are Irish Wolfhounds in a fight!>:D (lol) (lol)!  Of course, they get lost in tall grass! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 07:12:13 am »
I've got friends that use grey hounds for fox and coyote hunting[sight hunters].Also others that love their beagles.Locally here there's an individual using labradors for shed hunting.Another friend uses a lab for blood trailing.
I've always been fascinated by a hounds ability to smell a track and decifer a trail.With treeing hounds it's the toughest but natural thing to fine tune.It takes a natural intelligence.The treeing part is mostly naturally instinctive and bred in.Evaluating them while training is and can be the fun part of training.Seeing them get better and faster with more experience.Not everybodys cup of tea.
My goal was to raise naturals at a young age with very little training involved just exposure and put in the woods.Lots of drive and hard going with determination.Lots of hunting also.With an older dog or on their own.I always loved seeing a young good prospect out shine an older dog.I would know then I've got a keeper.Tougher trailing conditions is where the sheep get seperated from the goats.
There is lots of training realized by the handler too to diagnose exactly what a hound is doing.Knowing how different weather conditions can affect trailing etc.Knowing the prey too and it's tendencies.I always figured if he or she did it's job it's up to me to do my job.
I learned a long time ago the money part in coon hunting was'nt in the amount of fur taken with them.Its all about the hound itself value wise.It's value is a lot more than any multiple number of coon hides' price.
Sold quite a few young prospects for thousands of dollars.Won many hunts large and small.Nationally and locally.Many good memories from a hobby like this.
My hounds are scattered all over these U.S states from coast to coast used on lion/bear/and bobcat also.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 07:54:05 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed