Author Topic: Low brace  (Read 1464 times)

Offline DC

Low brace
« on: May 30, 2020, 12:33:06 pm »
Been low bracing for years and it's usually low brace, take a look at it and go to full brace. Is it mostly just a last minute look to make sure everything's OK? The string tension is going to be higher at low brace so maybe more inward pressure? Possibly just get it braced as soon as possible? So why do we low brace?

Offline High-Desert

Re: Low brace
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 01:01:40 pm »
I have never done the low brace thing. I never saw any benefit to it. Do a good job at floor tillering and go straight to full brace is what I have always done, and have never had an issue with missing draw weight or over stressing a limb. I did make an Osage bow that I did a terrible job of floor tiller, I was seeing how fast I could make a bow, and went to full brace, the bow was way stronger on one limb. A few minutes of working the opposite limb, and problem solved.
Eric

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 01:29:44 pm »
I try to low brace as soon as possible so I can see how everything lines up under tension then work it out to full brace. My thoughts are if I go to full brace and there is a problem it may compound it. To each his own.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 01:53:13 pm »
I brace low also in the beginning...about 3 inches from the back of the bow. Then, I slowly increase the brace as I tiller to full draw. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 01:59:04 pm »
I brace low also in the beginning...about 3 inches from the back of the bow. Then, I slowly increase the brace as I tiller to full draw. Jawge

Can I ask why George?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 03:14:48 pm »
Sometimes you go to low brace and that weak spot in your limb that you didn't notice on the tillering string will pop out at you. At full brace the same spot may permanent damage the limb.

Low brace is just a cautionary step, if you are experienced you won't need it, if you are a beginner you definitely will, I remember those days.

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 11:28:26 pm »
Sometimes you go to low brace and that weak spot in your limb that you didn't notice on the tillering string will pop out at you. At full brace the same spot may permanent damage the limb.

Low brace is just a cautionary step, if you are experienced you won't need it, if you are a beginner you definitely will, I remember those days.

Well said. I'm not a beginner and I still wouldn't dream of going to full brace height straight away for the above reasons. If there is a weak spot you will damage it.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 12:17:32 pm »
It's just a safety precaution.  The same thing as  tillering to full draw.  We don't just floor tiller and then go to full brace and draw the bow right back.  Even though you theoretically could.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 12:23:17 pm »
Like Jawge and PatM said, its kind of a safety precaution. In about everything I do I have to remind myself to be patient...don't think too many bows have failed because they were seasoned too long or worked too carefully.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 01:38:49 pm »
I usually start low brace,, I usually dont have the string the right length,, and its a bit low,, I just twist up as needed,, (-S