Author Topic: “Let’s light this candle.”  (Read 3379 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
“Let’s light this candle.”
« on: May 31, 2020, 10:05:47 am »
I see so many similar divisions as I did when we lit that first candle. The beginning of the space exploration for Americans and the quest to reach the moon. I remember as a child watching us landing on the moon. The whole country, the whole world watching. I often wonder if we can manage to come together like that again.

As a young child this event had a very deep long lasting impression on me. I thought and still think we can do anything we truly set our minds to. I didn’t get to watch the space x rocket take off yesterday, but I’m so happy that we are going to space again with a beautiful rocket built on our soil and launched from our soil. I’m not meaning to put down any other countries, just happy for mine.

With everything that is tearing us apart, maybe we can find something to pull us together. Not sure anything can. Maybe the return to the moon can. I don’t know. I’m sure looking forward to seeing us bouncing around up there again. Hopefully doing much more this time.

What do you think? Any chance?  Nothing like looking at earth from the moon to realize. It’s a small world.

Bjrogg

PS hoping this thread stays positive. Hopefully that’s not to much to ask for
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: “Let’s light this candle.”
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 10:34:04 am »
I understand hedge.

I know we’ve done some absolutely amazing and unbelievable things. Truly unbelievable. I mean over 50 years later some still don’t believe we did it. We have probed the plants of our solar system. Sent unmanned rovers to explore Mars.  Voyager is exploring beyond ours. It’s all fantastic and amazing. Nothing like watching a man or woman bouncing around out there. Wacking a golf ball. Kicking up dust.
Taking one small step for man. One giant leap for mankind.

Heck I don’t know how it would effect us as a world anymore. We might be disappointed. The si fi movies might be better

Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 10:59:47 am »
BJ, I was around for Sputnik, the first satellite to circle the earth, and ever though it was the Russians that got there first it got us stimulated to go farther. I watched the first man(American) in space and until and including the first man on the moon I as did many, watched every maned flight to orbit the earth and into outer space. John Kennedy said we would put a man on the moon by the end of that decade and we all believed it would happen, and it did. We, as Americans and as citizens of this world can do anything when we put our collective heads together.
 Look how we geared up for WWII. Our factories were putting out a fighter plane every few minutes, a bomber every hour and a battle ship every week and by the way much of that work was done by the women of this country while the men were at war. We, as a country and we as a member of a global family can do amazing things when we work together.
 My wife's grandmother took her bicycle to the Write Brothers bicycle shop in Dayton Ohio in the early 1900s and got to see the first man on the moon in 1969 in her lifetime. Think of the progress that occurred during that relatively short time. The computer that was used to put the first man on the moon would fill a large room and now, 50 years later the cell phone that most folks carry with them everywhere and every day has way more capability than that first room full of electronics. And, incidentally, it was a few humans that made the final calculations with pencil and paper that made that historic event happen.
 I loved watching the liftoff yesterday. It stirred memories of the first man in space and everything since then. In the old days it was mostly government money, taxpayers dollars that made it all possible. Now we will rely on American industry and industries from all over the world to achieve the next step and other steps from now on.
 Look at the earth from the Hubble telescope, you can't see the earth, you can hardly see our solar system. We, here on earth are less than small. In the grand scheme of things, we are hardly anything at all, just another speck of dust in the VAST UNIVERSE.
 I know that we, collectively, can do anything we put our minds to. Nothing is impossible when we work together for it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 11:55:39 am »
That’s exactly how I feel Pat. Sometimes I wonder if you just had to live through it to really appreciate it for what it’s really all about.

I was surprised how many people said it was impossible when President Trump announced that we were going to send a man or woman to the moon in this decade. Gee should be a cakewalk compared to the first time. I really hope I get to watch it again. This time with my kids and grandkids. With all the sci fi movies now, it might be hard to explain to them. This is real, not a movie.

Bjrogg

PS as I’m riding along in my tractor. That’s steering itself by calculating where it is and where it’s supposed to be going from signals it triangulates from satellites. I heard space x successfully docked with ISS.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 01:40:44 pm »
Well said Pat B. :)
Good to have a post that is back on message :)
(...the other stuff is getting tiresome  :( ).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BAfromPA

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 02:26:06 pm »
I was not alive for the space race but I did grow up watching 'The Cosmos' and, to me,there is nothing better to make you realize how small our problems are in the great scheme of things than the photo Voyager 1 took, "Pale Blue Dot". It is hard to even fathom the vastness of it all. We should all be proud of our accomplishments as a nation and, perhaps more importantly, as a species.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 04:00:59 pm »
It was a very enlightening time to grow up. It made you think you could follow your dreams. I know some thought it a great waste of money, but we learned so much from it. The knowledge and technology we developed has touched every aspect of our society.

I think the unmanned missions have been great learning missions. They have pushed our technology to places I never dreamed of. They aren’t nearly as personal as the human probes though. The human connection makes the vastness seem smaller. Actual colonization would really shrink that vastness. Just a little. We always have been explorers. As vast as our world once seemed. It has become much smaller. Not insignificant, just less vast.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 04:37:46 pm by bjrogg »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 04:37:22 pm »
Nice thread BJ, i been around to see a lot of it also, very cool stuff and glad they are back at it.Not sure what they will find out there , but most likely something, just hope it's good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 04:47:03 pm »
Nice thread BJ, i been around to see a lot of it also, very cool stuff and glad they are back at it.Not sure what they will find out there , but most likely something, just hope it's good. :)
 Pappy

That’s part of the excitement of exploring Pappy. Never quite know what your gonna find. :o
Bjrogg

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 04:49:09 pm »
I remember when it happened.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 05:03:55 pm »
I agree BJ, just part of what a man wants to do, like hunting/gathering .Just hope we don't find something we don't want to. :-\
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gifford

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 06:16:00 pm »
Excellent topic and thread "Let's light this candle" for it is better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

I remember seeing the headline - Sputnik - and later Muttnik in our local newspaper. I remember getting up early to turn on the TV to watch the early flights, The Mercury Space Capsules. The astronauts going into Space. Certainly like nothing we had ever seen before. 

I remember "Houston, we have a problem". When our intrepid astronauts set foot on the moon, I was listening to it on a portable radio in a USFS guard  station on the Routt National Forest. I was simply amazed, NASA did it.

I recently watched the docking of the space capsule at the space station and the astronauts coming through to the hugs of the members of the space station. What made it unique was a U-Tube poster took the footage and overlaid with Straus' The Blue Danube waltz. It harkens back to 2001 a Space Odyssey, which I saw over 50 years ago.

Offline BAfromPA

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 10:57:48 pm »
The incredible men and women (and dogs, and monkeys, and whatever other critters) that have been strapped to a rocket and blasted beyond anything we could fathom are worthy of every accolade we can give them. The technological advances, as well as the spirit of global cooperation, that take place on the ISS is mind boggling. To think that it's been up there since '98, it's borne witness to some truly formative periods in human history. Let us hope it also serves as a launching point to explore the stars. Alpha Centauri, here we come!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 01:53:59 am »
I was able to watch Allan Shepard, and have watched every launch since ! Sadly, witnessed the Challanger blow-up  (A). The countdown always gets My Heart racing. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 05:36:12 am »
I remember the moon walk.It was a proud moment in history.For those proud of this country it still is.The light never went out.Watched the latest manned rocket go up now too.Sadly some in this country have different agendas than being proud of our country and this thread is a good point made.
It's good the adults in the room know the difference.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed