Author Topic: “Let’s light this candle.”  (Read 3294 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: “Let’s light this candle.”
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 11:31:39 am »
I've been able to see so many of the launches from the house or at work I was really disappointed when the clouds were too high to see this one. I watched the Challenger explode while I was at work. Even after the sun set the debris trail of smoke was still visible from that morning. It was a cold, windless Blue bird sky all that day. It was kinda eerie.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 05:18:44 pm »
I thought that the rocket that sent the latest astronauts to space was supposed to return to earth landing intack to be used again saving money.Or was the showing of that previously what the future could involve?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline gifford

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 06:13:02 pm »
Ed - You are correct in that the rocket did not land on the launching pad like we have seen previously. IIRC The Daily Mail website indicated the rocket did return to earth but it landed on an ship in the ocean. Pretty cool if you ask me. I don't recall if it was a US Navy vessel, like an aircraft carrier or a freighter.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 07:22:52 pm »
Yes the booster rocket returned and landed on a drone barge. To be reused, the space capsule took the astronauts to the space station and docked there. I believe the astronauts are suppose to stay there a couple months and then return for a ocean splash down.
Bjrogg

Eddie I was guessing you could see them.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline chamookman

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2020, 01:30:33 am »
Had a Friend that used to live in Merrit Island, said the House would shake like a Earth Quake on Launches - Too Cool ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 07:01:29 am »
They should of shown the landing of that rocket.Pretty cool too.Maybe they will later.
BowEd
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 07:18:54 am »
Ed, they have been landing on the barge that is 200 miles off shore for a while now. Bob, Your friend is right, woke up in a motel at Canaveral inlet one morning with ash trays, lamps and anything not glued day shaking and vibrating off the tables when the shuttle went up. When working at the Cape or Nuc Sub base we had the day off whenever there was a launch. Also, another rocket scheduled to go up this afternoon. Will not be able to see that one either, 5" of rain on the way.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2020, 08:35:20 am »
Cool.
Except for the vibrations....HaHa.I imagine landing does'nt shake anything up.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2020, 08:49:06 am »
I went to college in Jensen Beach, Fl in 1969 through '71, not too far south of Cape Canaveral. I never got to see a rocket launched during the day but we did get to see the night time launch of weather and other satellite launches from the beach. It was pretty cool seeing the rockets streaking through the sky and watching as the first stage of the rockets separate from the rest. It was pretty "trippy" experience in those days.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2020, 08:00:05 am »
I'm sure you could hear the roaring noise of those engines.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2020, 08:06:30 am »
Actually not, Ed. By the time they got to us they were pretty far up and down range. Seeing these rockets without sound was pretty eerie too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2020, 11:12:06 am »
Then you were'nt all that close to begin with.
BowEd
Ed