Author Topic: Bow woods here in Southern California?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Sammakesbows

Bow woods here in Southern California?
« on: June 01, 2020, 09:24:10 am »
I do not live in the desert, nor the coast, or the mountains. I live on one of the cities along the border of Riverside and Orange counties. What bow woods are present here and in the Mountains?

Offline wstanley

Re: Bow woods here in Southern California?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 10:06:16 am »
I live in the foothills of the Central Sierra. You should be able to come across Elderberry, Baywood, and Ash. Check wooded areas next to creeks or highways. The Ash will grow right next to a creek, if not literally right in it. Elderberry is random, but I see a lot of it in the central valley along the highway. The baywood I'm not certain but it might still grow down by you. Perhaps higher up in the mountain you got Juniper? It might even be in the foothills being that its such a dry climate down there. There are probably more, but that's a good start.

Offline Sammakesbows

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 11:10:23 am »
What types of ash would be here? Also, there are no naturally occurring trees except for areas around creeks.

Also, is it even legal to cut wood from those places anyway?

Offline wstanley

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 11:46:28 am »
Not sure if its the Ash you want. More knowledgeable folks on here could help you with that.

I would say check out those creeks with trees. Is it legal? Not sure. But will anyone care is the question. If its not part of someone's landscaping/private property then go for it. At least that's how I feel.

Offline BAfromPA

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 06:36:15 pm »
I typically find the online GIS map for my county, find the landowners name and address and stop by with a bow to show them what I do and ask permission. Mostly the trees we want are not important to them('money' trees like a mature oak or walnut are too big for me anyway)and they are usually appreciative of the courtesy.