Author Topic: Leaning Forward At Full Draw?  (Read 2696 times)

Online mmattockx

Leaning Forward At Full Draw?
« on: June 02, 2020, 10:46:50 am »
Another possibly dumb question...

In the full draw pics posted around I see lots of guys leaning way forward (towards the target) at full draw. Why? All that does is shorten your draw and make it hard to maintain shoulder alignment and proper back tension. Is there something else to it that I am missing?

Mark

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Leaning Forward At Full Draw?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 05:14:14 pm »
Most times it's just that.A showing of the bend at full draw with no aiming at all.Some shoot to the sky to reveal the bend.It can also reveal too that the lower limb is stronger on their bow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline HH~

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 05:37:19 pm »
See guys do it with selfbow all the time at 3d shoots. Some guys van shoot to 20yds purty well like that. Then once yer past 20yds that form starts becoming difficult to stay consistent.

Yep it promotes humping up your back and shorting your draw. Add a little cant and you have another dynamic to deal with.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 04:36:23 pm »
I think that's why my draw length got so short for a while.  I find that a little bit of lean into the target from the waste (not hunching the back) might help me focus, but a more upright stance gives me better consistency.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 02:55:07 pm »
Think the best discription I have listen to for the upright correct shooting position is level stance feet at shoulder width, closed and the classic beer gut posture with butt down back and hips slightly up. Not sure where I first heard it but shoot with an old CA junior Olympic shooter who was also formally trained with the same posture. This posture works best with a very low chin anchor. The higher anchor changes things a bit but you can still get close to this posture.

Hard to do out of a tree. Big thing for me on a platform up high is my hip angle and rotating or cocking them to maintain my same sight picture and sighting angle. Straight down was the hardest for me for a many years. I have learned to clear my hips up and back, flex knees and get way over top of bow. Then, draw the longest draw I can get it this position as it tends to shorten you way up. The point of impact I look for on deer or elk in this situation is right aft of shoulder blade humps on top of back. You either slide arrow right beside spine or you break their back. Either way its very effective shot placement.

HH~

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 03:02:11 pm »
I hunt from the ground.  I don’t shoot with a target stance.   Stalking through the brush I’m already naturally leaned forward. 

I almost naturally shoot pretty much like the hadza.  The couple serious car accidents in my past lend me to shoot with what feels good and comfortable.  I don’t stretch out past 30 yards but shooting this was I can group about 10-12” at 27-30 yards on some days.  I don’t like taking shots on game further than 15 yards