Author Topic: Having a hard time getting feathers?  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Having a hard time getting feathers?
« on: June 02, 2020, 02:27:56 pm »
For people who have A hard time getting feathers, take a Walk on the beach, i walked about 1 and a half mole up and the same distance back and this is what i found, really curved festhers i left on the ground because i dont like to fletch them, most of Them are pimary and secondary Goose feathers

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Having a hard time getting feathers?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 03:07:58 pm »
Here in the US it is illegal to pick up just any feathers. We can only use game bird or commercially produced or feathers from exotic invasives. Walking down the beach picking up feathers can get us in trouble here.
 I think June is when Canada geese moult so they can be picked up around lakes and ponds, anywhere Canada's hang out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buck67

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 05:21:00 am »
I spent a month in Florida a few years ago.  My wife and I walked on the beach daily.  As long as we were there, we decided that we could grab some trash bags and clean up all the trash that washed ashore.  I started collecting Pelican feathers to use as fletching.  After a while I had a couple of fist full of Pelican feathers.  Then I reread the law covering feathers.  I put all the feathers in the trash can.

Canadian Geese usually molt around Fathers Day.  Go to any industrial park with a pond and pick up all you need.

Offline Buck67

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 07:53:18 am »
Yesterday must have been the day for Canadian Geese to lose their primaries.  In about an hour I picked up 71 Primaries or large secondary feathers.  In one area that I happened to walk back over there was another full handful of primaries not 45 minutes later.  I found another handful today.  The feathers have all had the quills cut off and are in a Ziplock bag with Moth balls.  BTW, shoes with deep treads are not recommended.  Last year I picked up some Goose feathers and discovered that they are "softer" than Turkey feathers, so this year I ignored anything that wasn't a large flight feather.

Offline Strelets

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 10:26:50 am »
June is also the time for swans to moult their primaries. They make much better fletchings than goose feathers. Here in England it is quite legal to be in possession of a feather, so long as it is not still attached to the swan. On the other hand, any civilian in possession of a hand gun would go straight to jail, no ifs or buts.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 03:39:45 pm »
June is also the time for swans to moult their primaries. They make much better fletchings than goose feathers. Here in England it is quite legal to be in possession of a feather, so long as it is not still attached to the swan. On the other hand, any civilian in possession of a hand gun would go straight to jail, no ifs or buts.

Of course, the swan itself belongs to the Queen, by law.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.