Author Topic: Making a Tillering String?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline mmattockx

Making a Tillering String?
« on: June 04, 2020, 10:39:12 am »
I am at the point where I want a proper tillering string. Been using a piece of paracord so far, but it is really too stretchy to work properly. I have bought a spool of cheapish no name bow string and will be making a string jig. I have watched Weylin's excellent video on making Flemish twist strings and I should be able to make something that at least resembles a bow string.

A few questions:

1) For a tillering string I am thinking it will have a closed loop on one end and the other end just tied off loose so I can set the length with a timber hitch. Is this correct?
2) How long to make it?
3) How do I finish off the loose end? I was thinking I would weave/twist the last 10-12" tight like when making the loop, then tie it off and melt the loose ends together to stop it fraying apart.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Making a Tillering String?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 11:38:33 am »
I use a continuous loop string with big served loops at each end. I adjust the length bt threading it through a metal ring. This allows adjustment from long string to low brace to full brace. it then gives an exact length for making the proper string.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 12:11:35 pm »
Is that a peep sight Del?
I make mine Flemish. One loop one bowyers knot.
I make quite a few elbs so mine is about 78", but twist a long section on the knotted end so that you have plenty of adjustment for a long bow to a short bow.
Loose end finishing is simple. Just keep reverse twisting until you run out of string. Then cut with a scalpel and melt the fresh ends together. You probably got a dacron based string material and that generally melts together fine. No need for any knots, which would come out anyway.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 12:52:54 pm »
I use a replaceable chain link in place of Del's loop, I use a Flemish twist with double loops. Three different takes on the same thing.
One thing though, make it heavy, 20 strands or so to allow for wear. They get a lot of use and start to fray.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 01:34:10 pm »
I use old bow strings from bows that didn't make it so I can't help much. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Online willie

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 06:00:31 pm »
timber hitch and one of these

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 06:08:03 pm »
I make all my strings with the top loop only and tie a bowyer's knot(timber hitch) on the other end. I have an extra heavy(16 strands B-50), extra long string I use for initial tiller string then make the permanent string for the bow after brace and complete the tillering with it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC