Author Topic: Anyone else into Cycling?  (Read 4266 times)

Offline JEB

Re: Anyone else into Cycling?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 06:33:03 am »
The last day of a 450 mile ride. We camped at schools on this 5 day ride. There were about 500 riders. Cycling on organized tours is another way to enjoy cycling. My girl could really cycle. I sure miss her.

Offline neuse

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 07:30:51 am »
JEB,
It was a 100 mile ride, Hotter than Hell 100, I had to SAG in.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 07:41:37 am »
I love to ride a bike, at least I used to. Perhaps it was years of drawknifing osage staves or something else I did with my hands but now 5 minutes of holding bike handles and my hands go completely numb, no feeling whatsoever except for pain.

They don't go numb lifting weights or drawkinfing but do frequently go numb while I am sleeping in the wrong position.

I should have carpel tunnel surgery but I have been cut on so much in the past and still have some major stuff I need done (hip replacement) that I can't bring myself to make the appointment.

Offline JEB

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2020, 08:26:18 am »
Neuse: Interesting you brought up the Hotter than Hell ride. We have a town , Hell, Michigan. Chris and I have run and rode thru Hell many times. The t-shirts they gave out were really neat looking.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2020, 04:43:11 pm »
JEB it is so nice to have a riding partner.  I am sorry for your loss.  It sounds like you had great times together.  Keep riding, man.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2020, 04:48:52 pm »
Thanks for posting pictures guys!  I'm glad to see more people interested in it.  I'm not ready for any long distance rides yet.  I did 70 miles over 3 days.  It sure is fun.  I've been scouring the internet for a project bike and I can't find anything reasonable.  I'm pretty fond of the Trek bike I'm riding.  I'd love to find a fixer upper to start working on. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2020, 06:19:43 pm »
Still remember my bicycle. Banana seat. 5foot sissy bar and high rise handle bars. We would go to the local dump and get junked bikes. Cut off the front forks and extend our original forks with them. Back then we customized everything. Bicycles, motorcycles, cars and trucks. That was part of the fun and pride in ownership.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Parnell

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 09:47:29 am »
Been interested in it since I was a kid.  I mowed lawns all summer to buy a “good” entry level road bike  back in 1987.  The boys in my neighborhood and I would ride 60-80 miles a day when we were 12, or so.  Ride all day along backroads and ridges along the Delaware River in Pennsylvania.  A snickers bar for lunch.  Knock on strangers doors and ask them to use their hose for water.  Free as birds we were.

I kept that bike through college then got into riding trails.

When I moved to FL I got into triathlon races and would road ride.  I’m not comfortable being on the roads down here, anymore.  It’s toooooo dangerous now!  Even with bike lanes...nope. I still ride on the back streets and side walks along highways on my trail bike with road tires.  Been thinking it’s time to pick up a hybrid.  I’ll watch the local Catholic thrift shop.  It’s amazing what people donate down here.

I once was road riding on a shoulder less 2 lane road.  I had a hornet hit me in the chest, drop, and go up my running shorts...stung my right on my man sack!!!  I saw stars and swerved right when a car was going by at 60 miles an hour.  Almost got clipped.  WHEW!  I crouched off to the side for about ten minutes pinching myself in pain! 

I was never much on wearing all the tight biking clothes, but, with regard to this story it would have been safer!
1’—>1’

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2020, 10:15:52 am »
That's a bad spot to get stung  :o

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2020, 06:56:41 am »
I started riding in the mornings again while it's still cool,(78dg @7am), Our city has laid out some real nice Bike only trails around the lakes and through Golf Courses. It's a lot safer.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2020, 10:18:06 am »
I've noticed the "hybrid" in here and I thought you must be talking about electric bikes but I couldn't see any motors in the pictures. I finally Googled it and found that it's kind off a amalgamation of all the different kinds of bike, mountain, touring,racing etc. When I was young we had a different name for that. We used to call that a "Bike". These advertising people sure make things confusing. ;D ;D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2020, 01:47:43 pm »
I hadn't heard of a hybrid either until I bought mine.  I didn't want a mountain bike because they are heavier.  I don't know if my back can handle the bent over riding style on a racing style bike.  I like the style I ended up with.

I bought a Trek 830 mountain bike that needs repaired.  I wanted a project bike to work on.  I had fixed enough to ride in no time.  I ordered a shifter and grips since they were missing. 

Offline willie

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2020, 12:18:36 am »
some of the real old treks are in much demand, and even the treks of your vintage are the one I keep an eye out for when it comes to fixer-uppers. I find it easy to keep an extra set of wheels around when I want to switch tires  depending on the days destination

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2020, 10:47:42 am »
Cycling was life long obsession for me. Well, at least through my 60's.
Short jaunts in neighborhood with my kids when they were young.
Longish (60-100 miles) day rides in '80's with cycling clubs.
Racing road bikes through 90's.
Then self-supported touring.
Finally, in 2011 realized my 30-year dream of touring coast-to-coast. Four month, 4,000+ mile sojourn from Portland, OR to Boston. It was all I dreamed it would be, + much more. Experiences and sights that still bring smile and good emotions when remembering. Before beginning that trip, I was lucky to find a site that hosted cycle touring journals AND small laptops were just coming on the scene. So was able to journal the adventure as each day rolled by. Great decision as I can go back to that journal to relive those days. Journal is here ...
 https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1mr&doc_id=7490&v=13Q
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:15:24 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JEB

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2020, 03:04:41 pm »
Knoll, I sent you a PM. I think Chris and I ran into you in a restaurant while on our ride. Maybe over by Erie, Penn or a 100 miles one way or the other.