Author Topic: What hardware store lumbers are good for arrows?  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Sammakesbows

What hardware store lumbers are good for arrows?
« on: June 07, 2020, 09:05:29 pm »
I heard that Douglas fir sold at hardware stores have too low of a ring count for arrows. Is this the case with other lumbers? What lumbers can i use? Is it different if i use lumber from lumber yards? I know that when there is a fire, people cut up and take the unburnt lumber here in California, but can anyone just do that?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What hardware store lumbers are good for arrows?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 09:24:27 pm »
Probably any straight grain lumber will make good arrows. Poplar is one of my favorite and I've used black walnut too. Cherry, hickory(heavy), spruce, fir, white pine, and more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sammakesbows

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 11:10:08 pm »
Probably any straight grain lumber will make good arrows. Poplar is one of my favorite and I've used black walnut too. Cherry, hickory(heavy), spruce, fir, white pine, and more.
So its just Douglas fir that doesnt work?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 11:31:29 pm »
Pat B has fir on his list, are you looking for dowels or lumber to trim down?  Look for straight grain regardless of species. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 06:12:53 am »
What Hawkdancer said.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 08:02:05 am »
Straight grained White Pine works great.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Strelets

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 01:14:23 pm »
If you want the highest spine to weight ratio, use spruce or pine. This will give you a fast but fragile arrow that will very probably snap if it glances off a tree or target. If you want a robust arrow that will survive a lot of abuse, use ash.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 06:34:15 am »
I have made arrows with pretty much whatever 5/16” or 3/8” straight grained dowels they have.  I like 5/16” oak dowels.  They are very tough. I have a whole lot of I don’t know what but they fly well.  My 3/8” pine arrows fly well also.  I have some heavy 3/8” oak arrows waiting for testing. But I need to make a heavier bow for them or sand them down some.