Author Topic: Houston area contacts  (Read 11173 times)

Offline Freeflynick

Houston area contacts
« on: June 08, 2020, 09:16:12 am »
Hello everyone!
My name is Nick, I'm a displaced Scotsman living in Houston and wanted to see who was around this area. I saw the last Houston thread was untouched since 2014 so thought I would kick off another to see if there was anyone in the area who would be interested in teaching a relative newbie some tricks of the trade? I live in Jersey Village and have build 5 board bows so far, some more successfully than others! But I think I am at a stage now that watching someone else go through some parts of a build would be very beneficial.
If anyone knows of any good resources in the Houston area I would love to hear about them, be it places to buy good quality boards, people willing to mentor or just meet up for a chat over a cold beer, or directions to the secret osage forrest. I got some nice ipe from Houston Hardwoods, so that will probably be my go-to supplier until I find some staves to try out.
Anyway - I appreciate any input you can give me to help me out on this journey!
Cheers,
Nick

Offline Allynhirsch

Re: Houston area contacts
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 09:43:34 pm »
Hiya Nick! I am also from the Houston area, a bit north of ya in between cypress and magnolia. I am also a newbie, more so than you, having built precisely nothing haha! I could probably learn a few things from you in fact. I do have an elderly acquaintance who has been making Native American style bow and arrows of various sorts for several decades, but he lives near Tyler. Plenty of Osage up there, as I can attest from months of working out there a while back. Thinking about taking a weekend, maybe in September to go learn and watch him. If I do, I will let you know. Anyhow, nice to find another person in the area. Do you have any good shops you recommend?

Offline Freeflynick

Re: Houston area contacts
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 02:45:01 pm »
Hi Allyn!
I would be very interested in joining you to visit your friend, especially if there is a chance of getting into some osage! Please keep in touch and let me know.....I will PM you my phone number.
As for shop in Houston, the only bow-related one I have visited is Houston Hardwoods which has a wonderful supply of boards and exotic wood pieces for bows. I got a great ipe board there for about $27 - easily enough for two basic bows, so if you are interested in starting one, let me know and we can take a trip there and see if we can pick out a few nice boards.
Cheers!
Nick