Author Topic: Is it legal to cut wood in California?  (Read 1969 times)

Offline HH~

Re: Is it legal to cut wood in California?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 02:03:20 pm »
Cancel Culture world folks!!
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Sammakesbows

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2020, 03:00:46 pm »
Thats right DC. Here is these United States on Federal land you technically cant take anything without a permit. So all of you who pocketed an arrowhead on a trail give it back or your going to jail ; ) Your not stealing or doing anything wrong by cutting something down on public land. Now if your hacking down a Sequoia in Sequoia NP (not sure why you would because its worthless for bows, but you get my point) then your going the wrong direction. Our Forests are overgrown in CA - just cut it down. Maybe walk a dozer line/fuel break and you'll be removing much needed vegetation. Now for your local city park that will get you in trouble.

Ten years under my belt working on FS land in CA. Just go for it. Be picky and thankful for your stick and that's all you gotta do. IMO
Thanks! Never thought about the fire break (Techically im doing them a favor).

What about the urban forests? All the trees there are growing in association to a body of water. Now, im not cutting a 50 year old oak tree, maybe just a decent size branch or a willow shoot. I heard riparian areas are protected, but im not sure to what extent.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 04:57:06 pm »
Usually that’s County property.Your good. If it’s a thicket of willow and you see a nice one I would go for it. Don’t just cut to cut it down. Feel fine too just walking away not because of legality but you want to pick a good one. Your not causing any damage to that riparian area in fact your generating new growth if it’s a willow.. Just chose that tree as an example. If your not sure just walk and look at it without a saw in hand. Scope the place out and get a feel.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 05:08:14 pm »
Goes without saying No Trespassing signs means No Trespassing. Just feel like I needed to cover myself on that : )

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 05:40:59 pm »
I wouldn't wait until they are writing you a ticket to ask permission.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BAfromPA

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 06:48:46 pm »
Cancel culture? I thought having respect for the environment, laws regarding trespass, conserving our public lands for all of our use and that of future generations, and respect for the many creatures who make homes in those woods were things we could all agree on.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 08:42:25 pm »
Do Native Americans need to ask for permission to cut wood on public land?

Offline Sammakesbows

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2020, 09:51:54 pm »
To clarify, I would not cut a tree or branch if it has significant value. I wouldn't even cut the tree down unless if its like an invasive acacia or something, at which point I am doing a favor for the environment, or something like a fire break, where i am doing the fire department a favor. I would never just cut down a mature oak. I would a 2 inch branch or something like that, though. And by park, i mean like a small urban forest that shows up in green on google maps (If you know what i mean).

Offline willie

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 10:07:05 pm »
Hi Sam,

Do you have an idea what kind of wood or bow you have in mind? are you looking to make a sapling bow? If you narrow down your home range a bit from "California", someone might be able to suggest a species to look for. If It is an invasive species and you walk out of the woods with a new hiking staff maybe no one would care.
I have found bow wood saplings in a gully behind an Industrial park, behind the city dump and in a swamp behind a shopping center. I actually find better stuff in places that were cleared twenty years ago and have become overgrown. There lots of out of the ways places where no-one is going to care, but knowing what you are looking for and locating a likely place to find it come first when looking for any bowwood.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 12:19:32 am »
I wouldn't wait until they are writing you a ticket to ask permission.

This ^^^

This a touchy subject for me, so many guys steal wood and seem proud of it, I find this very disturbing.

You can do the leg work and get permission to cut, you may have to produce a "thank-you" bow, money or a case of beer for the land owner but you can get permission to cut. It has been my experience that once you deal with a landowner as an honorable man (something they don't see often) it opens the door for more wood than you can handle.

And this ^^^

I’ve never had much trouble getting permission from a land owner and if they say no accept that and move on, I’ve also had good luck catching the landscape crews when they’re working in the city parks and they’re happy to let you take anything they cut if you ask first.

Short of it if it’s not yours ask, if you can’t find someone to ask then don’t take it!