Author Topic: Obsidian in Bend, OR  (Read 1700 times)

Offline wstanley

Obsidian in Bend, OR
« on: June 11, 2020, 10:36:41 am »
Hello, my sister lives in Bend OR, and will be coming down to visit me in August. I usually order my obsidian on line and its pricey as heck as some of you know. Is there anyone she can purchase it from out there? I wouldn't dare ask her to go quarry it, haha she would loose a finger in the process. Just trying to get some cheaper rock. I'm fully hooked to knapping obsidian but MAN I cant keep paying these prices. Thanks.

I could offer a trade if someone is interested. Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Obsidian in Bend, OR
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 10:08:29 am »
There is literally a mountain of obsidian near Bend. Whether you can obtain it or not I don't know but in the park we saw the mountain there were signs all over about not picking it up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wstanley

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 12:06:30 pm »
I was there too. That's correct. Not allowed and a $500 dollar fine.

I went to a knap-in about an hour east of Bend. I used to live in Burns, OR about 9 years ago. These guys were digging it out of the ground with permits fully legal. Kind of looking for anyone who knows someone like that who would trades for the stuff. There might be someone who has a permit to sell it for commercial value, OR they have it on their private property and are selling it? The stuff I get online is from Oregon. 

Offline JEB

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 03:24:33 pm »
 Get any of that Burns Green when you lived there?

Offline wstanley

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 05:00:03 pm »
I didnt' see the source but did find a green (dullish color but definitely green) waist flake at a site. Pretty neat stuff, at the time I saw it I didn't know obsidian came in so many color varieties.