Author Topic: Growing stick bow staves  (Read 2901 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Growing stick bow staves
« on: June 27, 2020, 06:29:13 pm »
If someone evver plan to grow stockboek staves from branches they should try to knot a tree up by pruning the tip off the tree and prune the branches off It every other year. I did find a hawthorn pruned this way with like 1 or 2 inch straight branches on It.

If you dont know what i mean with knotting the tree search for "knot wilg" on google

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Growing stick bow staves
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 07:29:25 pm »
Sure, don't let the new branches get woody before stripping them off the limbs. I have an article in the current Primitive Archer that illustrates a similar approach that involves tending the sprouts that grow from a stump. Same as knot wilg, but closer to the ground.  Check it out.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 08:23:35 pm »
Hi Jim , i am not subscribed for the magazine neither have the money to do. Cant you post Just your artikel here?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 09:06:49 pm »
The magazine is copyrighted, but I can summarize the article in a few sentences.

I have cut several Osage trees on one property over the last 8 years. As the  stumps produced sprouts, I spent a few minutes each summer stripping new twigs off the lower parts of the sprouts--working higher as the sprouts gained height. A few of those sprouts  are now about three inches in diameter, are straight and have no branches for the first six of seven feet.

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 09:28:59 pm »
Just Out of curiosity, how thick they need to be minimal for enough heartwood  for making a bow. We dont have Them growing here and didn't see Them in gardens either. Would It be legal to ship a sprout of like  15 inch to the Netherland?

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 12:22:23 am »
Just Out of curiosity, how thick they need to be minimal for enough heartwood  for making a bow. We dont have Them growing here and didn't see Them in gardens either. Would It be legal to ship a sprout of like  15 inch to the Netherland?

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 12:24:27 am »
You can get as many hedge seeds as you want off fleabay. Seeds are no problem but do you thinking a cutting would survive being posted from US to the Netherlands with no water??
As Jim said 2nd growth is the best bet.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 01:00:05 am »
Not sure but i assumed that there also were dry periode over there and dont know how long It would take to ship it

Offline Hamish

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 05:53:14 am »
Hawthorn will definitely coppice well. That's how my Dad makes his walking sticks.