Author Topic: Footwear  (Read 10979 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Footwear
« on: June 14, 2020, 12:58:20 pm »
What ya"ll using as footwear when you are stalking throug the Woods or plains with small bushes? Just modern shoes or the flexibele old school mocassins?

Offline mmattockx

Re: Footwear
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 01:36:02 pm »
I'm curious to hear the responses. I wear typical high top hunting boots (waterproof heavy fabric uppers with lugged rubber sole) for all my hunting, but that hasn't yet included bow hunting.

Mark

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 02:18:50 pm »
What is lugged sole? Like deep profile for good grip? I would have expected that commercial "hunting boots" would have real soft rubber, maybe even with some hard  foam air pockets to silence your steps
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:09:14 pm by Ricardovanleeuwen »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 04:19:45 pm »
My hunting boot is LL Bean Maine Hunting Boot with rubber foot and leather upper.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 07:00:37 pm »
What is liggend sole? Like deep profile for good grip?

Yes, similar to these:  https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/new-product-100116394

Nothing on the sole will silence your footsteps in the bush, it is all technique and patience.

Mark

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 08:16:12 pm »
I like the camo pattern. I tought that when you have a really thin sole like mocassins that you would feel whats under your feet if you put Them down slowly and that you can move then when there happens to be a branch or something because of there werent Anny advantages about a leather sole i think the natives would use a wooden sole so their shoes would last longer like our leather clogs  (if you type "leren klompen" in google immages you get what i mean

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 08:27:31 pm »
In the desert, I wear running shoes.  In the mountains, I like a lightweight, waterproof hiker.  Last year I used Xero Xcursions, and I loved them...but there seem to be some durability issues, so I'm looking for alternatives.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 09:18:47 pm »
I have some feet that have a hard time getting a good fit for a budget but i always had the itch to make my own pair bit soo many projects to do haha. How would natives do It because i think their sole last shorter then the rest of the shoe, would they make a shoe and pad the sole with An extra layer of leather and when the first layer worns out replace It?

Offline Fox

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 10:02:07 am »
How would natives do It because i think their sole last shorter then the rest of the shoe, would they make a shoe and pad the sole with An extra layer of leather and when the first layer worns out replace It?

What the more northern tribes did (wich ive read several good books about by Helge ingsted you should check them out) was repaired them until they had to make a new pair, wich they did several times a year I believe..

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline TimBo

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 12:02:56 pm »
I like the LL Bean Maine Hunting Boot as well.

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 12:46:43 pm »
@fox, do you or annyone else have a pattern of the medium height to high mocassins? Or Anny other native footwear?

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 08:58:08 pm »
I have some feet that have a hard time getting a good fit for a budget but i always had the itch to make my own pair bit soo many projects to do haha. How would natives do It because i think their sole last shorter then the rest of the shoe, would they make a shoe and pad the sole with An extra layer of leather and when the first layer worns out replace It?

I kind of like what the Highland Scots used to do:  Kill a red deer (or a cow), cut simple moccasins out of the raw, wet hide, strap them to the feet hair-side out for traction, and wear them dry.  The moisture in the ground and from the foot would keep them soft enough to be comfortable (and I suspect the tannins from running through peat bogs would partially tan them).  They lasted about as long as it took the family to polish off the meat from the animal, then they'd start over.  Since it only takes about ten minutes to make a pair (I make them from tanned leather, as the Wyoming Game and Fish frowns on my killing an elk every time I need a pair of shoes), their wearing out so fast was no big deal.

Edited to add:  I don't hunt in these.  My ancestors might have been tough enough to run over rocky ground all day in wet rawhide moccasins, but degenerate, modern wretch that I am, I need some rubber strapped to the bottom of my feet.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 09:02:09 pm by WhistlingBadger »
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 02:34:49 am »
I make my moccasins with a sole of Vibram. The sole is glued to the leather sole.
The moccasins therefore last longer on stony ground or even on asphalt.
Minimal sandals like the huaraches I make only from the Vibram sole material and a Paracord string. In summer such sandals are my favourite shoes.
Here is my building instruction for huaraches published for download. 
https://w ww.bogenschiessen.de/bogenschiessen/de/service/ratgeber/Bauanleitungen.php

I hope the link to the german magazine "Traditionell Bogenschießen" does not violate the rules...

The sole material is available in different thickness. From 3mm to 10 / 12 mm. It is very soft and very flexible but it has a good "traction".
I use 4mm an 6mm and you feel the ground same as in leathersole mocs.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 05:38:10 am by Pappy »

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 11:51:59 am »
Thanks for the reactions, i think i go for Tanner leather also, and also try to make some sandals for warmer weather

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 05:41:48 am »
AndrewS it probable would if I could read it  ???, so adjusted it so it isn't a direct link. More on topic I wear muck boots for all my hunting, light/fit well and water proof.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good