Author Topic: Uses for the Friley point?  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Wolfmanjack

Uses for the Friley point?
« on: June 16, 2020, 10:40:37 am »
So I find the friley point very interesting.  Was this style meant for small game only or was it also used for deer sized game?  Do the forward facing ears hinder penetration significantly?  If anyone has tried one on any game I would love to hear about he results.  My daughter informed me a couple hours ago that we have two more armadillos in the yard as we speak.  I may be able to test this point out and see how it performs.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Uses for the Friley point?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 07:39:24 pm »
I'm surprised no one has answered this one.

There are a few theories on the reasons for the strange forward-facing barbs on the Friley points.  One says that the barbs cause "extra damage" (i.e., bleeding) that makes the animal easier to track. Another says that the barbs are a "cultural thing" and are mainly artistic.  There is also the possibility that there was a belief that points were "supposed" to be made this way and it was a superior design because reasons...

My take on this point is that since these points are so small, it really doesn't matter what shape they are. They will penetrate well all the same. So, why not make them look cool?
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 10:56:46 pm »
Personally always thought that was a sort of "Judo" point for small game.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline JEB

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 06:20:33 am »
Neat looking point although it is not something I would knap to use for deer with those to penetration stoppers on each side.  Would be interesting to know what the Natives used it for.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 10:04:02 am »
Where are they from? Could the prongs hold poison?  It would be a bit of a waste to use it to hold tar and fiber on a fire arrow.
How is it hafted?

Offline Wolfmanjack

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 01:49:13 pm »
From my understanding the points are mainly found in Louisiana, just so happens to be my home state.  As far as anything else about the point I have no idea. 

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 01:57:13 pm »
Was any natural poison ever available there?