Author Topic: Twisted stave  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Kidder

Twisted stave
« on: July 02, 2020, 11:17:49 pm »
Working on designing the back of a black locust bow. This particular stave had a large knot one one edge that I was able to avoid. I’ve scribed a line down the very middle of the stave. However the wood directly beside where the knot was drops pretty severely away from the side with the knot in it. In other words it’s not level with the rest of the back of the bow. However the stave straightens back out past that and both nock ends are more or less level. As I see it I have 3 options: 1) bend it level in the edge of the drop and again at the exit, 2) design the center of the back so that it is butted close to the knot where the twist is less severe, which wouldn’t necessarily follow the grain well, or 3) don’t worry about it. And maybe even another option that I am unaware of. What would you recommend? The rasps are on the back to show level...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Twisted stave
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 06:06:59 am »
Don't worry about it and build the bow. Just be sure the belly follows the back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 07:15:10 am »
Whether you try to take the dip out or not, be sure to follow the grain.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 02:51:23 am »
Most of it will be cut off as you rough out the bow. Once your at floor tiller ypu'll be able to see what you're dealing with

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 03:54:19 am »
I personally would remove some wood on the belly around the knot area to try and determine how the knot runs through the limb.
If it goes straight through from back to belly I would consider moving your bows centreline towards the bottom of the picture, away from the knot. If you have enough width you could probably get past it.
Whatever the back does follow it on the belly,, one side of the limb can be high, the other low with no problems just make sure you follow the grain.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 07:43:39 am »
Good job drawing the center line following the grain. Remember to lave some wood around the knot...somewhere...even at the belly if you have to. Also, remember t tiller the not slightly flatter than the rest of the limb. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!