Author Topic: Pau Amarillo/Yellow heart for "Backing a bow"  (Read 10928 times)

Offline AndyTurner

Re: Pau Amarillo/Yellow heart for "Backing a bow"
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2020, 10:36:30 am »
Just for everyones amusement - I was going thru my kindling supplies & reflecting...

Offline AndyTurner

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2020, 10:37:41 am »
Number 1

Offline AndyTurner

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2020, 10:38:27 am »
Number 2

Offline AndyTurner

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2020, 10:40:36 am »
Number 3

Offline DC

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2020, 10:42:55 am »
You didn't post a picture of what I wanted to see.
Can I see a nice clear closeup of the area I marked in red? From the same angle.

Offline AndyTurner

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2020, 10:45:47 am »
Number 4

Offline AndyTurner

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2020, 10:54:25 am »
Can I see a nice clear closeup of the area I marked in red? From the same angle.

Hi DC. Hows this?

Offline PatM

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2020, 10:58:17 am »
[

So R/D isn't just a "new trendy name" for "recurve"?

Thanks,
Andy

Definitely not although most recurves also incorporate  D/R in their profile.   In a recurve the tip  also has the curve, not just the working limb.

Offline DC

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2020, 11:09:29 am »

Hi DC. Hows this?

Can you see how the grain runs from one side of the walnut to the other in the width of the picture?

Offline AndyTurner

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2020, 11:42:25 am »
[

So R/D isn't just a "new trendy name" for "recurve"?

Thanks,
Andy

Definitely not although most recurves also incorporate  D/R in their profile.   In a recurve the tip  also has the curve, not just the working limb.

Pat I really don't understand. Please see attached. It's my bow and the bow I was trying to make. I really don't see any difference between a fibre glass recurve and what I was trying to create other than the materials and therefore limitations on geometry. For me the D/R is a recurve made of composite wood. It uses the same mechanics just different materials. Please do correct me if I'm wrong - I'm clearly new to this.

Thank you,
Andy

Offline AndyTurner

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2020, 11:49:21 am »

Hi DC. Hows this?

Can you see how the grain runs from one side of the walnut to the other in the width of the picture?

Hey DC. Sorry no. Maybe its the angle of the shot. I have the piece right here. Please see attached. It looks straight to me.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2020, 12:17:05 pm »
I really don't see any difference between a fibre glass recurve and what I was trying to create other than the materials and therefore limitations on geometry. For me the D/R is a recurve made of composite wood.

The 'D' is for deflex. Deflex is where the limbs sweep back from the handle area. The 'R' is for reflex. That is the limbs sweeping forward. The recurve is the tips being sharply bent forward. You can have any and all of these features by themselves or combined with the others. The fibreglass bow you are calling a 'recurve' bow is properly designated a deflex/reflex with recurved tips. The commercial designation of it as just a recurve is not really correct, but has become the default description of that type of bow.

Some pictures to illustrate.

1) A bow with only reflex. This was a flat pyramid bow that I heated reflex into on a form. There is no deflex off the handle and no recurved tips, the limbs simply bend forward from the fades:

2) A bow with reflex and recurved tips. No deflex off the handle, the limbs begin moving forward immediately after the fades:

3) The same bow after tillering. You can see almost all of the reflex has pulled out so it is now essentially a flat bow with recurved tips:

4) A bow with deflex out of the fades and reflexed limbs, but no recurved tips:

Mark

Offline DC

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2020, 12:34:26 pm »

Hi DC. Hows this?

Hey DC. Sorry no. Maybe its the angle of the shot. I have the piece right here. Please see attached. It looks straight to me.

Side to side it's perfect. I'm talking belly to back. The wood split at an angle belly to back.

Offline simk

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2020, 02:53:41 pm »
Andy, you are really struggeling hard. I also did (and do) with the r/d design. Only a few things out of my beginners point of view: A) Your design is from the fg-world somehow, not suited for wooden-world. B) The fades are a little steep and abrupt. C) The handle is too big and takes too much of working limb. keep struggeling. I have tried some different profiles and this one now works for me: 
--- the queen rules ----

Offline AndyTurner

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2020, 04:54:30 pm »
I really don't see any difference between a fibre glass recurve and what I was trying to create other than the materials and therefore limitations on geometry. For me the D/R is a recurve made of composite wood.

The 'D' is for deflex. Deflex is where the limbs sweep back from the handle area. The 'R' is for reflex. That is the limbs sweeping forward. The recurve is the tips being sharply bent forward. You can have any and all of these features by themselves or combined with the others. The fibreglass bow you are calling a 'recurve' bow is properly designated a deflex/reflex with recurved tips. The commercial designation of it as just a recurve is not really correct, but has become the default description of that type of bow.

Some pictures to illustrate.

1) A bow with only reflex. This was a flat pyramid bow that I heated reflex into on a form. There is no deflex off the handle and no recurved tips, the limbs simply bend forward from the fades:

2) A bow with reflex and recurved tips. No deflex off the handle, the limbs begin moving forward immediately after the fades:

3) The same bow after tillering. You can see almost all of the reflex has pulled out so it is now essentially a flat bow with recurved tips:

4) A bow with deflex out of the fades and reflexed limbs, but no recurved tips:

Mark

Hi Mark - Nice write up. Thank you for that.