Author Topic: Board grain question  (Read 3662 times)

Offline DC

Re: Board grain question
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2020, 01:29:01 pm »
Bigger pics are better :)

Offline willie

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2020, 01:48:06 pm »
perhaps the word grain is not the best either.  the fiber direction is what needs to be straight. this article helps with the different terms.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/the-way-wood-works-reading-grain-direction/

the tips here are for seeing directions to make planing easier, but I doubt you will find fibers that cross ring lines, so ring line runoffs will also be fiber runoffs.

a sapling you collect yourself is a possibility for finding a straight save.

Offline Stickshooter

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2020, 08:21:27 pm »
Thank you.
See how the grain lines are wandering off the edge. That board will break. I am afraid. Jawge
Thanks Jawge, and everyone else; I’m going to attempt to tiller this board just for practice, with the expectations it will most likely break.. At least the hands on practice of going through the motions should give me a boost in the right direction for when I do find an acceptable board.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2020, 08:56:45 pm »
Here are some pics of what you are looking for in a board (click on the pics for a bigger version):

The end grain, showing it is a fairly flat bias cut:

This board made a decent pyramid bow that shot just fine. I still didn't quite trust the grain runouts in a couple spots and backed it with fabric anyway. It died when I tried a heat treating experiment and scorched a spot on one limb. Even the finest bow can't withstand a ham-fisted rookie bowyer...

Mark