Author Topic: Hunting the Michigan UP?  (Read 1865 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Hunting the Michigan UP?
« on: June 27, 2020, 12:42:47 pm »
Happy weekend, everybody.   Mrs. Badger and I are looking a purchasing a piece of land on the upper peninsula to retire to in the next few years.  I'm wondering if anybody can tell me a little bit about the hunting opportunities (especially archery, but I'm not above hoisting a firearm) up there.  I see that Michigan has seasons for whitetails, elk, bear, moose, turkeys, small game...anything else?  How many of these are hunted on the UP?

How does licensing for whitetails work (draw or OTC, multiple tags, etc)?  How hard are the draws for elk, deer, moose, turkey, and what are the hunting prospects?   Finally, what is the hunting like up there?  I'm a still-hunt/spot and stalk hunter; does hunting work that way in the North woods?  Tree stands are fine but don't excite me all that much. 

Off the hunting topic, what's the growing season up there look like for growing veggies and such?

We are looking into it, not too serious, but not completely just spit balling, either.  Any info would be appreciated.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline KHalverson

Re: Hunting the Michigan UP?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 03:02:57 pm »
here in Michigan you can hunt deer from October 1 to January 1.
all with a bow if you choose.
we have a 2 week firearm season from nov 15 to dec 1.
a week or 2 muzzle loader deer season.
elk are northern lower peninsula only.
1 in a lifetime draw.
moose are in the u.p and so are turkey and bears in abundance.
deer are over the counter combination tag with antler restrictions depending on zone or application for doe permits.
growing season is short up there near the great lakes.
 the west end may be different.
fishing galore there walleye ,pike,musky, perch and other pan fish.
pretty thick country for spot and stalk .

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 10:13:44 pm »
Having lived here all of my 71 years I know I would not move to the U.P. but would move  to  the northern lower Michigan. My dad lived in the U.P. for 28 years so I spent some time up there hunting deer and bear. I have hunted and killed bear in the UP with a bow. Lots of bear up there but the deer hunting is not so good.  There are some moose in the U.P. but you can not hunt them.  Elk are a lottery draw but good luck with that.

I have no love for the U.P. and generally speaking they have no love for anyone that isn't from up there.  When they find out you are not from the U.P. you are considered a troll, fudgee or an apple knocker.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 08:26:03 am »
Thanks for the info, guys.  Yeah, my wife told me about trolls (from under the bridge  haha) and the tendency toward xenophobia. We just think we'd feel a lot more at home in the UP--awful winters, low population density, lots of hills...more like home.  :)  How we'd fit in with the people there might be a different story.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 08:51:13 am »
I haven’t spent a whole lot of time in the U.P. It does have some very interesting areas though. Pictured Rocks, Tuhquamenon Falls. It is a separate peninsula and like Jon says everyone south of the Big Mac is a troll.

I’ve never hunted there. My good neighbor who passed away this past winter has a cabin up there that he just loved. He talked about it all the time.

The winters are deep snow. Lots of snowmobile trails. Very short growing season. Long days in the summer. Long nights in the winter.

I wish I could help you more. I have known a few youppers yah know ahh. I got along really good with the ones I knew, but never met them on their home turf. They do almost consider themselves a different state and honestly I can’t really blame them.

What area of U.P. Are you looking at?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 09:12:16 am »
BJ, most of the places we're looking at are south of Marquette.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 09:53:22 am »
I really wish I could help you more W.B.  I had a roommate when I lived in Detroit and went to electronics school. He went the college up there and loved it to. He spent a lot of time by Houghton Hancock area hiking.

Most of the time I’ve spent in U.P. I just went straight north to Canada and then headed east to Blind River.

I have gone from Green Bay along southern coast to Escanaba. Then to Thaquamenewa falls and over to Paradise. Mostly pine trees a grassy swamp. Some pasture.
Bjrogg
Gotta be someone who can give you more help than myself on here.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 09:59:34 am »
Well, I was thinking about calling the MI DNR this coming week to get more insight on the hunting scene...but I always prefer to talk to someone who's been there.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 11:30:21 am »
Well south of Marquette is good. North of there and you would be living in a house boat, lol.

You decide to pull the trigger and move there let P A know and I can put you into a good area for bear, public land. Where I go 1st season takes 8 years but other areas are much shorter.  Some 3rd season areas can be drawn just about every year.

Grouse use to be real good in the logging areas but I haven't hunted them in a few years .  Fishing is touch and go. In some lakes the fish are stunted and other lakes have no fish at all but when you find a good lake to fish it usually produces. My dad caught some blue gills that were as long as the width of the bottom of   a 5 gallon bucket. He had them mounted they were so big. 

Good luck on your adventure.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 09:19:11 am »
Be prepared for mosquitos like you've likely never encountered, unbearable at times with all the spray and Thermacells you can imagine. Its a very barren land. Not fruitful or bountiful in the least. As stated above, there are pockets of this and that, but you can drive hours in between them. Beauty? Lots of that. The only place in the UP I would even start to consider living would be all the way to the west above Wisconsin.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 05:54:26 am »
Too bad Dana Montgomery or Mike Roberts, (El Destructo) don't come on here anymore, they both live around Marquette. You can find both of them on Facebook.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 06:55:59 am »
Be prepared for mosquitos like you've likely never encountered, unbearable at times with all the spray and Thermacells you can imagine. Its a very barren land. Not fruitful or bountiful in the least. As stated above, there are pockets of this and that, but you can drive hours in between them. Beauty? Lots of that. The only place in the UP I would even start to consider living would be all the way to the west above Wisconsin.

Barren?  I thought it was mostly forested.  Can you elaborate a bit?  Also, why would you live in the Western UP but not the rest?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline JEB

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 07:40:06 am »
My dad lived in  the western U.P., Crystal Falls, 8 miles from Wisconsin so all my thoughts and opinions were made based on my experiences that I had there when I visited, hunted and fished in that area.  If you want peace and isolation then the U.P. is where you need to be.

Again, you move in that area I can put you on to some real good public land bear hunting.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 12:19:42 pm »
Barren as far as game animals. The land itself is incredibly thick and nasty in most areas, the game can run quite thin for mile after mile after mile. The west side, in my opinion, has more good outdoor opportunity's as far as fishing and hunting. The entire thing is something to behold. It may sound like I hate it, I don't. Its just a nice place to visit.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 07:16:32 am »
Well, that's a lot to think about, gents.  Thanks for all the info.  Most likely our plan isn't going to work out anyway.  Always fun to dream, though.   8)
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour