Author Topic: Spine testing arrow shoots  (Read 1575 times)

Offline HighEagle

Spine testing arrow shoots
« on: June 28, 2020, 03:33:20 pm »
 Been making some new shoot arrows out of mock orange, wild rose, and red osier. Its has been awhile since the last time I built some arrows. I have straighten my shafts the best I can, but always seem to have a little wiggle to them and will settle to a low and weaker side of the arrow on my homemade spine tester. Do you go with the light side or the heavy side numbers? and then what side of the arrow do you orient to the strike plate? 

Thanks Chuck
Armstrong, BC

Offline willie

Re: Spine testing arrow shoots
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 04:32:46 pm »
chuck,
always seem to have a little wiggle to them and will settle to a low and weaker side of the arrow on my homemade spine tester.

do you have a way to zero out the natural sag before you place the weight on?
Even when you zero out the sag or have a perfectly straight arrow, it does not often measure the same on all sides.

I have always thought to find the weakest direction (after zeroing) in the spine tester, and mark the top and put it against the strike plate.

But this is not what I see is most often recommended and I do not know why.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Spine testing arrow shoots
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 06:55:56 pm »
The stiff side goes against the bow. Can you adjust the uprights on your spine tester so you can zero in on all 4 sides?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC